Tips needed for turning

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
Webbo

Hi, After a 6 month break due to back problems i managed to get out yesterday at Portland. I'm still trying to turn but still having problems and was hoping far some tips. I have put a link to a typical turn I manage. I seem to strugle after the turn to keep the power on! Cheers.
southseasailor

Fun isnt it!

My turns, I take it you mean going from left to right..took a bit of time to work out, despite watching a kiting DVD. I found that its about timing, in getting the kite in the right part of the 'window', just as you start the turn.

Personally, the wind is good and strong I let the kite come up and almost depower...while riding close to the wind...this makes sure that as I slow and swing my hip that the board is heading deeper downwind on the new 'tack'. I found my common problem was doing the turn and then coming upwind way too early.

Another method, for me anyway, is to slow up and swing the board so as to almost stop...leaning back I can get the board to go sideways and coax the back end to become the leading end. You can lose quite a bit of ground like this....so keep a good eye on whats downwind of you. In fact make sure to look around you before starting the turn.
CookieMonster

Very much on timing! this will change on the size of kite you are using at the time.

On my 14m I start to pull down on bar with the backhand to direct the back, the same time i initiate going up wind. Also sheet out the kite as it passes 12 so it can rise, which will also hold you. when the you feel the pull back lean against it which will put your weight on the correct foot, make sure the board is pointing downwind, now pull on the bar which will give you the power to upwind

Heres a link to a vid which I learnt on, its good as it also points out the common mistakes

http://youtu.be/lE-ahreablU
Webbo

Thanks for the tips and the video link. Watched it a few times and I can see 2 things I'm not doing right. I tend to slide the board and I don't pull on the bar to keep the power on ready for the new tack! Should be able to get out Friday at Portland if the wind holds to practice! Cheers Webbo.