Aerial transitions

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
Dragnfly

I'm really struggling to get these nice and floaty with a good change of direction. Any tips most appreciated.

I sail along, kite about 10.30, then start sending the kite to 12, not very fast. I'm struggling because it either feels like I can't carve into the wind enough to stop my forward movement, or because the kites so high, I just can't edge and have no pop power.
I'm sure these shouldn't be too difficult, but my attempts invariably look crap - about 2 ft of air and a sinking plop.
fdvj

Are they crap on both tacks?
Dragnfly

Yep. Sadly.
fdvj

You need to be powered for them to work. It's all in the timing but is much easier to ride out of with a late loop thrown in.
-rfx-
Antispam: No

I'd say I have just gone past this stage and the main thing I found helped was not to think too much about it... And to not look at the kite.

To jump higher, carry a bit more speed than you might be (I used to slow right down), send the kite and as it feels like it's around 12, just turn into the wind and gently pop. Only then, turn and look back in the direction you want to ride off in... never look at the kite. If as you come down you feel you aren't going to have enough power, you can dive it harder, or loop it.

As mentioned above, being well powered makes it easier. Overall, don't treat it too differently from a normal jump... I used to slow right down and send the kite too slowly. Ride normally, send the kite and use the board at the last second to kill forward momentum, when you have it right you'll feel yourself pop up.

Hope this helps!
Dragnfly

-rfx- Ye, that sounds like what I'm doing - I do tend to be going pretty slow when the time come to leave the water, and am moving the kite slow too.
Will give it a go faster.

Cheers chaps
Woodsy

i find better not to drift the kite up to twelve. i wang it there (not past twelve) but have lowish board speed. try that.

i also find its easier to back loop than it is not to. sounds daft but its true - helps you to pop properly.

W

PS - i'm no pro!