Jumps

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
kite-uk

Sounds simple but I have been going about it the wrong way..

I have been watching alot of video's and others to try and work it out..

I am understanding two types pop and jump.

I think i ride too much with an edge all the time. So focused on riding hard up that I think I need to ride down wind abit to then pull back to get the lift.

I know my current main kite is more than capable of doing this. But I have been silly and gone and bought a Flexifoil force just to make sure I can really jump :lol:

any tips..
creed
Antispam: No

Popping took me while to work out but if you want to high then use a kicker. Even a small kicker can help you generate a huge boost. Also I find the faster I hit the kicker and send the kite back the bigger I go.

The Hulk video is awesome for getting your head around it all. Take particular attention to the part about body position whilst in the air to stop you twisting out of shape. Nothing worse than doing the Gangnam style mid air whilst trying to sort my shit out then slamming in a rather pathetic heap and the disapointed look on my kids face that daddy is no longer their super hero :mrgreen:
kite-uk

Hulk? is that on here?
kite-uk

Oh I get it yes I already watched that one. Cheers

yeah just got to get some speed up and try that. It can get right busy down there and by the time I got my self sorted it's time to avoid some one or turn and it's back to square one. I will also try Hayling Island some time I recon it's better there smooth and open space.

But yes I get that video..

I recon I could do all this on my Waroo 11m but I got my new kite and well may be I should have waited .. will try this on my old kite first as I know it..
creed

I got new kites in December and I'm still working them out :mrgreen: Had a breakthrough with them yesterday. It's taken sometime to adjust from my Ions.

With regards to it being busy, If I can be bothered I'll kite up wind out of the pack then do a mini downwinder just jumping, when I'm close to the pack I'll go back upwind then do it all again.
kite-uk

are so going down wind is what I thought then.. As I have been cutting hard to the edge to the point I am slowing down.. so I need to turn in to go down wind abit get some speed up then carve up to the edge deep to get the pop..

it's what I have in my head so i am going to give that a try..

Yeah the new kite has not even got out the bag! this weekend will be 3 weeks of a brand new kite still in the bag it's killing me to get it out there!! wind has been jsut SH** to be honest. :?

At least the evening are getting lighter.

Ions hmmm this is the first time I have ventured away from BEST kites....... sink or swim really :?
Tone

I don't go downwind at all, I stand up a little and the sit down really hard in the harness and edge as hard as I can.

Works for me.
creed

I didn't mean I go downwind to initiate a jump. Tone done a better job of explaining it! I meant I kite up wind from when I get in the water and then do a load of jumps, naturally taking me downwind to where I started then go back up wind and do it all over again. Does that make sense?

Listen to Tone, I've seen pictures of him jumping in excess of 30ft. He knows what he is talking about.
kite-uk

yeah ok, i get it. just need to get out and try it. :-D
southseasailor

Watch you dont dig the front of the board in when landing, fckin hurts when you do that. Got probs with my neck at the moment because of that very mistake:( could well be muscle and ligament issues, mind you I do have arthritic problems too..I dont bother trying big jumps now, just a hop here and there:)
kite-uk

I got a Flexi Foil Force little jumps don't come part of the package :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's speciality is boost and float. It is designed to take you up on the express elevator and keep you up there longer than you have flown before.
Ops :lol:

I am worried but then I have to progress.. I think I could have done more with my Waroo 11m very lothed to sell it to be honest.

But yes I will stick to small for now. I was getting 2-3ft before and doing it all wrong so, doing it right should see me up there looking to do 6-10ft

As I have very much learnt to run before walking I need to slow things down abit and re go over old ground.
waverider

southseasailor wrote:Watch you dont dig the front of the board in when landing, fckin hurts when you do that.
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D So funny, I just got to remembering the very-early days when we didn't have anyone who knew the answers to our problems so you just kept face-planting or doing cartwheels. Then, one-day. :-D :-D :-D :-D
charlie-p

Don't worry about the Force it's ment to be super floaty with good hangtime, i try to think of edging to jump different from getting upwind, so when you are preparing for a jump go quite fast with the kite high-ish then let the bar out first then turn the kite as quickly as possible up to 12 and no further because you will fall faster and then pull in the bar and release your edge by leaning forward and jumping with your legs kind of thing. To get more height you need to go out with the most power you can handle + ride faster +send the kite faster to 12 but make sure when you send the kite faster you still turn it with the bar sheeted out. For more hangtime hold the bar on full power sheathed fully in once you are in the air but this will make you float downwind, I still struggle with boosting towards the right even though i ride goofy but going left i can hold much more speed and edge harder and can even loop. Hope this helps even though it's a lot to take in but focusing on the things that make you jump higher will help the most with smaller jumps too :-D
kite-uk

thanks.. Yeah i am itching to get this kite up in the air.. I will try all this first on my Waroo 11m

only because I know it.. I also feel it can do all I want it to do and more.. then move onto the force..lets hope I am feeling it. :lol:
southseasailor

One prang I had from weeks ago is still bothering me, got a real problem with my neck now..got Physio this week so might get some answers as to what the problem is. Can move my head about but theres something amiss in the ligament/muscle area for sure.

Be real careful with jumps