Jumps

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
kite-uk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCT5OIG ... ata_player" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try this
My mate updated his u tube thing with it,
kite-uk

Update. Been off with recovery after a planned operation.. to no sports for 2 weeks..

I then get out on a nice windy day with my Waroo 11m 09 and I am popping jumps all over the place now.. wya higher than before landed 2 ! which is great for me.. 2-3 where much bigger than I have done before. but one was and I have some one who saw it was 18ft poss 20

All I know is I was up there and thinking i'm going to land about now............... now!............... now ????... crash! wooooow I was abit shocked so just got to try and remember all what you guys have been saying..

I will say as it all happens so fast.. I am still holding the kite bar in when I land.. some one mentioned about letting go and pulling back in when you come to land as this will soften the landing. Either way i am chuffed I think two weeks off watching you tube videos I was ready to hit the water and use all I had seen..

My father in law has a great video of me doing a really nice 6footer but it's on his phone and he is in Hong Kong at the mo.. so when he is back in oz he is going to up load it to you tube for me..

Getting there.. makes a huge difference for sure.. 8)

any tips would be very much appreciated. :-D
southseasailor

I had a sess on the Flysurfer 12mtr a few days back and decided to do some jumps. It was very easy to do, blast along with kite quite high, turn it to fly up sheet in and up I went. The landings were very smooth.

Thats my tip, get a Flysurfer! :)
kite-uk

not more kites!!! no thanks :lol:
southseasailor

Ah, but no more worries over punctures and pinholes ruining your sessions. Might have to keep an eye on the bridles etc for any stretching :-D
kite-uk

Not for me although i did see one out the other day looked good, no idea what they are like when you crash one in the water though?

Anyway more jumps again!

I even had my 6m Best Guroo ( now renamed " Storm Chaser " ) in my collection.. gusting hard last night 40mph winds and I was out.. I did a little jump or 3 didn't go too mad as I had far too much respect for the wind conditions to be honest.

but the day before I was out and I was leaping around all over the place on the 9meter! even landing a few now.. I am going up, curling up my knees as I go up and then straighten them out as I land so I am stumbling to stand and go again.. so now I think I need to jump and try and turn my board to down wind abit.. ready and all of the above should start to work out then I hope..

I now can see why so many people jump it's great !!!!!!! it's what I wanted to learn to do. that and turns..just got a Free Style board ( see this spending never stops ) I have sold my spare board ( which I may regreat as it's so light and is so good in choppy waters is the defender 50 ) for a freestyle board. Now my litewave spirit is going to be my spare now.. / light winds board.

I would love to keep all my old boards but need the space more than anything.. I would love to have another go on my Square one ! airush the battle ship of the solent! LOL I even did some bunny hops on that board when I was learning..
southseasailor

Thats it, turn the leading end of the board downwind a tad and make sure to haul the bar end down too, you want to make sure the kite doesnt shoot upwind and behind you. It could then front stall and come down and you will be in a mess:)

Flysurfers? if you fly well enough they are quite hard to crash really. They will let you know if they arent happy at the side of the 'window' and low, the bottom end will curl up a bit. Keep doign this and the canopy can collapse and come down in a heap, it usually comes down, curls up and then powers up again. You got to be careful with them.

If the kite comes down onto its leading edge, you have to wait till its downwind, then reach forward and pull both steering lines in. Foil will then reverse launch, trick is to get it high enough before letting one steering line go, it will then swing rightway up and your good to go. Too low when you do this and a wingtip will catch the water. If the canopy collapses on the water and starts to wallow and sink you can get it going again, takes time though. Front lines, keep tugging..as long as the inlets of the leading edge are facing the breeze the kite will inflate and take up its shape...any water will slowly drain from the vents in the wing tips. It takes practice for sure. I dont take mine into deep water unless the winds good and I have a suitable shallow area I can drift to, to sort things out. Standard practice really for LEI's as well. Getting the Foil sorted after a crash takes more time, and the potential for a real tangle is a bit greater.
kite-uk

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-VciCQ ... _web&pli=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

father in law took this video of one of my early jumps..

it's some weird google upload video thing so it's safe just the address looks dodgy.
Yes I lost my board! not done it before or since! typical it was on camera! :lol:

I have since then managed to land the board each time and submurgded in the water and then carried on.. so I just need to try and get the board pointing downwards.
Ice

Keep your elbows in when jumping. Very often people jump with their elbows out. This stops you pulling the bar down and also can help you pendulum under the kite. Which can mess your landing up. Also keep your steering lines tight when flying. I fly ozone bars. There are three knots under the floats. I fly my kites on the third knot up. Tightest factory line settings. This does two things. Increases the power, useful for getting max low end out of your kites in light winds. Secondly when jumping with tighter steering lines takes you more vertical in the jump. Without going down wind so much during it and again helps you not to pendulum under Neath it and land straight with out the kite throwing you down to the side.
Keeping you elbows in to you body also aids in spins and rolls!
Always hold the bar dead in the centre either sode of the chicken rope with both hands for straight up high jumps.
Jumping spins are always easier with one hand. Helps ensure you pull the bar forward or backward to pull you out of the spin depending which way you are wanting to come out of it.
kite-uk

Oh I am getting them now leaping all over the place lol good luck with your neck
hoxton

Keep your elbows in when jumping. Very often people jump with their elbows out. This stops you pulling the bar down and also can help you pendulum under the kite.
Are you saying that keeping my elbows out will give me mere of a pendulum effect?

I'm currently trying to do a dangle pass and can't get the swing needed to get inverted. Will definitely try this, thanks.