Jumps

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
kite-uk

ok tried again yesterday on my 13m wind was smooth once you where out 150 yards or so off shore.

It's alot to remember but I gave it ago.. yes I got a jump say 3-4ft ( ok ok not high! ) but I was well pleased..

how ever it could really have been much better and that (clearly esp as I was out on a 13m waroo) it's my Tecnique. Rather than the kit.

One other guy was out for a while on a 12m

So I know one area I did wrong, trying to cut in deep to pull away from the kite. I did slacken off the bar pressure ( pushed it away ) then tried to carve away ( very little I guess ) and then I got a sort of oh all right then here's abit of air! to shut you up :lol: :lol: :lol: 3-4ft one..

But nothing seemed smooth and I may even have it on video I have not looked at all the camera yet.

I was riding 90degrees to the oncoming wind. So I was not riding up wind still can't get the hang of that. I even depowered the kite Alot to see if I could do this.. I got abit but nothing worth getting excited about..
creed
Antispam: No

Apologies if I've misread what you've written but do you mean you can't ride up wind? It's quite important if you want to be jumping. Especially for edge control.
kite-uk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaeHaIEtTv4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1.30second in is my jump. crap I know but there you go..

Riding up wind if I have this right from the Progression video's then that's the art of riding towards the wind, then no, not that good at that part yet.

the wind for this video was coming towards my left ear ( if that makes sence ) to not behind me ( eg my back ) So I am not as good as I could be for riding up wind more needed on this
southseasailor

Dont know if it helps but I tend to run along upwind a touch to get some distance from the shore..bear away a bit to run across the wind and then a quick burst upwind as I go for the jump..kite is low at this point with the bar out, pull the kite up and bar in smoothly..keeping it in. Its remembering to pull the kite to steer back down, otherwise the kite can end up over the top of me and possibly front stalling; which could lead to real problems should a loose line get snagged around me.

I dont go too fast to jump, prangs really really hurt me these days. Big enough kite will get you high with little effort. Did my biggest ever with the 12mtr Flysurfer Foil once...dont know the height but it scared the crap out of me:) those kites are jumping machines when the breeze is up. Brutal power in the gusts, you need to use depower a lot sooner than you could get away with on an LEI..well thats what I have discovered.
kite-uk

with the bar out? ok I you saying I need to aim to have the kite running with it quite off the power on the bar.

So it's all power when you pull it in.. So I am guessing you either have to power up alot more ( power / depower ) or you have to run down wind abit to gain speed/power.

I am sure it will all click once I get it

Two things to learn this year

One turning at speed to go the other way

Two jumping ( even just abit more than I am now )

if I can do these two alone this year I will be happy..

If that lot comes right then I would like to learn to spin the board so I can then kite round in an arc to go the other way..

All do'able stuff I am sure..

Next year may be a trick or so but happy with my small to do list 8)
creed

You sent the kite to far back. Also you pulled the bar in late.

Only send it to 12 o'clock or 11/1 o'clock max. With the combination of sending the kite fast and edging with relative speed you'll feel the point where you're about to be ripped off the water. Thats when you want to release your edge/stand up/jump and pull the bar in keeping the kite above you. Keep the bar in till you're about to land then direct the kite back in the direction you are travelling.

I'm not suggesting jumping in sallow water but be careful how far out you go to try your jumps, last thing you want is a big swim when it all goes tits up. That will very quickly show someone a lack of fitness. Certainly did to me once. Scared the crap out of me.

Try moving your hands to the centre of the bar.

Great work though!
kite-uk

thanks

I'm glad now I got this £33 camera instead of me saying it you can see it.. Hopefully I will get my self a go pro and you may well see it better :lol:

Ok it's making sence now.. I think.

I am sort of ( if what your saying is right ) doing it right BUT need to send the kite to 11 not over more.. makes sence

also work on the bar timings.. ok

I will hopefully be out again this week if the winds stays good. I agree with the distance thing.. I was on a tide coming in and I always try for that in general..

I wouldn't normaly be out on my own but my wife was on the shore so she was keeping an eye ( eating icecreams and drinking coffee, what Husband? :lol: )
I guess it was quite deep out there where I tried but yes keeping an eye on the depth is always a good idea. I once learnt that the shingle bank was draining that I forgot about when I came in at speed and I turned and heard the pebbles.. Very little damage and I got away with it but it was a reminder to keep an eye on the localised areas at different tides.

just need more time out.. 8) thanks for the tips I will keep the video's coming. I'm still only 5/6 months into Kitesurfing at this stage.
creed

Keep it up and keep the videos coming! Happy to help where I'm qualified to do so :mrgreen:
kite-uk

LOl Cheers

just got to work out what's the FF Force pumping up issue? I am going to pump mine up in the lounge in a min!! to see LOL.. :lol:
creed

13m kite.... you must have a mahooosive lounge
kite-uk

11m Force I got , wished I had thought about the 13m at the time.. if I like the force then i will have to look out a 13m Force in a years time in the sale..

the 11m does fit in the lounge :lol: just. I have not heard of any one else have an issue with the kite and I have messaged some one I know who has one from very very early on eg Knows Flexi Foil owner. he mentioned nothing and I will wait with interest his reply when he comes back to me.
creed

There is some pretty sweet Force action in this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfsXK8uIN6c
kite-uk

wow thanks I have not seen much out there on the kite.. I have been so sensible on buying used kites and sticking with the right ones for me and the advice of many others Best Waroo and then move to Kahoona that I have gone against my peers and bought the FF Force and I am feeling abit hmmmm in limbo because I should be out there riding it's ass off and instead it's sat here in the bag gathering dust on it :?

I am sure I am going to love it 8)

I was abit worried it just fell out the sky? :? is that me or should I be worried :? to be fair it was a trick that went wrong and it was over his head at the time. at least one VERY good thing.. it didn't power up as it fell :mrgreen:
southseasailor

Brave to mess around on a landboard, tried using one once and got highsided (went over the board) and landed on my left hip...I honestly thought I had broken it. Never ever felt pain like it..then worried as no one was about to help. Luckily it was a badly bruised bone...oddly enough it never showed as a bruise on my skin. Took weeks to settle down. I have nothing but respect for you landboarders...mines up for grabs if anyones keen to buy. I wont use it again.

I know what you mean about shallow water and the dangers..at least waist deep is good. I wouldnt go shallower than that.

Its hard to descibe the technique about jumping, but have you experienced that surge of power when learning to change direction..ie transition from left to right? THATS the key part your looking for. You dont have to travel fast to jump, big jumps maybe but mine are mere hops. Like I mentioned before I am too much of an 'old lady' to want to get hurt :) Its getting the landing right till its second nature thats key to not getting hurt.
kite-uk

that's why I have been sold on the FF Force. more time in the air to sort your self out before landing.. well that's the idea anyway..just got chatting to a shop owner who sells Kites he said he only got the hang of all the tricks and jumps once he got a Waroo 2009 back in the day once he got one of them he was about to jump about and got what every one was on about.. So I am starting from an 09 waroo. 8)