Front rolls

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
gavin

Hi

At Camber on Sat. and was having such an amazing sesh on the 7 that I tried some front rolls.

I landed quite a few which actually surprised me as on my 9 & 13 I would land say 2 in 10 and then give it rest as body at that stage would be saturated with salt water !

Would it be correct that the reason for my "improvement" is mainly due to the fact that the wind was so wicked that it allowed me to rotate and land with little fuss. What I did note is that on my jumps a little movement created a lot more height than on the 9.

what a sport - the most amazing natural high !
A.Junkie

Well done Gav.

I guess the fact that you were perhaps getting some bigger air gave you time to think about your rotation more?

I found smaller kites a bit more twitchy for rotations myself with it being easier to pull the kite off course by accident. If I'm trying something I don't know too well I find the 14m more floaty and forgiving on the bar.

I reckon with a smidge more aggression you will have your front rolls dialed on bigger kites.
hoxton

I haven't tried powered from rolls yet, excited to try them, I think that's tomorrows mission!
mark van haze

Lucky timing I guess: Finally we got around to making a new instructional. The frontloop or frontroll is your basic hooked in front rotation and we tried to cover as many common mistakes as possible. Everybody seems to love wipeouts - watching that is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1ls_Nifg8s
hoxton

Gav,
How are you getting on with your front-rolls? I've finally started to sick some of mine but I still find that the rotation is a little jerky, especially when I attempt to keep the kite low rather than sending it.
mark van haze

hoxton wrote:Gav,
How are you getting on with your front-rolls? I've finally started to sick some of mine but I still find that the rotation is a little jerky, especially when I attempt to keep the kite low rather than sending it.
The lower you hold the kite, the more energetic you have to throw your head and shoulder into the roll as well as tucking in the front knee.
southseasailor

I take it that with a nice big kite you can do this move a bit slower?
mark van haze

Of course the more hangtime you have, the slower you can rotate. There is a limit since you need enough momentum to come around but remember to tuck your knees in if you seem to rotate too slowly - it will speed up the rotation and can save the trick.
hoxton

Almost a yeat later. Got those front rolls nicely thanks.