getting my feet in the straps to start

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
Dazzas1066
Antispam: No

Hi All,

I have started my lessons this week. But today was the first day with the board. However, i just cannot seem to get me feet in the straps to start trying to kite with the board. I only succeed once and that ended quickily in a superman style flight across the water!

Does any one have tips to get the feet into the the straps? The board kept flipping or drifting away and i had no pressure to slip the feet in. I had a very
unproductive day...

Advise is really welcomed!

Darren
southseasailor

Take it your learning in shallow waist/chest deep water?

Sit back in the water, keep flying the kite with one hand..don't pull the bar in, keep an eye on the kite you only need slight movements to steer it

One hand on the board handle, wiggle one foot into a strap, if you find you and the board are turning then use an arm to steer around..don't take your foot out if you can help it

Bring your other foot up and into the other strap, again you might find you and the board are turning..use an arm to steer around so you are back to wind

I find: get one foot in, then steer the kite gently over to the other side..as you bring the other foot up the kite will help pull your foot onto the board, wiggle your foot and your toes should pop into the strap

Its a case of multitasking, flying the kite and being aware of the wind direction, being aware of other kiters and so on. You will get used to it:)
Dazzas1066

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I am learning in hyeres out in the deep blue sea. Its nice as i do not really have other kiteboarders to worry about. I think I was trying to put both in at the same time.

I will try again tomorrow one foot at a time! I hope i do not make to many superman starts, they really hurt the face on impact! :-)

Darren
bretiller01

When I was learning, I tied a small 6 inch bungie cord with a plastic ball on the end to my handle, this allowed me to extend and easily, quickly and positively get my feet in the pads, essentially the board is further away from me and I don't have the feeling of scrunching up struggling to get my feet in the pads.

I make sure its not so long it dangles over the edge of the board when riding, but it has enough flex to make it easy when gettin in the pads. No hooks!

I can easily get on my board without it these days, but I keep it on anyway
Dazzas1066

I will try again tomorrow, hopefully witjh better results.

Thanks again
bretiller01

I practiced with my 'handle extender' in the living room, surprising how much easier it was with just that extra couple inch of extension given by a bit of cord.

But my first time out with the little bungie attached to the handle I nailed it first time, everytime! - feet in and off I went with hardly any effort.

Before I would struggle with the board and take to long then my kite would twist me or kite might over fly as I took so long messing about with getting board on
Dazzas1066

Hi

So finally I tried one foot at a time and this was much better. Seems silly really but I think with the kite above the head and the waves coming through I was trying to make things to quick.

Also had a wakeboard session using the kiteboarding board. This was also god practice to get on the board. I also think I thought my feet needed to be more secure than is actually required. Now I need the wind to return for getting some practice in. It was difficult a few days ago in light winds as we needed to keep the kite moving a lot. Not easy for a beginner trying to manage the kite and the board. I think /hope it's easier for practicing as I can focus a little less on the kite when moving...

Darren
southseasailor

You can stop the Kite overflying (where it seems to go overhead and behind you) by pulling the bar in a little, this will set the kite back. Beware of overflying as the kite could do a front stall.

Yes, you don't need to ram your feet into the straps. I ride with feet quite loose so I can twist my feet around a little to get a more comfy stance, otherwise my knees suffer as I tend to ride in choppy water a lot.

Enjoy! :)