Right of way...

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
skymankite
Antispam: No

On those busy days, like last weekend I still get a little unsure as to which way I should move (or not move) when facing another kiter coming in the opposite direction. Last w/e the wind was cross so we were either kiting out from the beach or tacking back in. I didn't come close to a mash up but 4 others did!. I just wait to see what the other is doing and move opposite (either putting the kite low or high, or shifting down wind of them). Is there a proper right of way? One bloke said the kiter tacking out has right of way? But not sure about that and what if the wind is onshore... any opinions?? cheers :!:
Too Much Wind

Find a quieter beach where you don't need to worry about it. If a spot is so busy that right of way becomes an issue then in my opinion its already too crowded.
However the rules of sailing should be applied. But to be perfectly honest so many kitesurfers are not aware of the rules of the sea that it may do you no good knowing them.
The main one is that a rider on a starboard tack has right of way over a rider on a port tack.
Other ones generally accepted but not necessarily written in law are
upwind kiter keeps kite high, downwind kiter keeps kite low.
Kitesurfer riding a wave has right of way over kitesurfer not on wave.
Kitesurfer leaving water should give way to kitesurfer entering water ( i think or is it other way round, well it doesn't matter as i only kite at quiet beaches)

TMW
JGTR

As per the BKSA (which should have been covered on your lessons unless you were self taught):

1. Port gives way to starboard - person with right hand forward has right of way
2. Upwind kite high, downwind kite low (doesn't really work the other way round)
3. Over taking kiter should shout to show intention then steer round but in reality not practical as it can be impossible to hear
4. Kite going out through waves has priority - totally opposite to surfing apparently, typically rider on wave stays on wave
5. Rider leaving beach has priority as risk of accident is greater on land, especially in high winds.
6. Finally, the most important rule that overrides all other rules, avoid collision at all costs!!!!

Pretty much what TMW said :-D
skymankite

cheers for the advice. wasn't self taught but our instructor never mentioned right of way - at least I think he didn't, but it was a while ago...
cheers anyway
southseasailor

Overtaking you keep clear, but like mentioned its the same rules as sailing. I get to kite with others sometimes, I have a quick chat with them before we get the kites launched as to the rules. If someone is learning the other more experienced kiters leave that area clear. A learner has enough on their plate as it is:)

Whats quite interesting is that if I have a kiter that's into their jumps and tricks I keep well clear of them and let them have room. I keep well upwind in case they fudge it up and bring their kite crashing down;)
heretohelp

It's all about communication. I give right of way to anyone who is better than me on the water, simple as that.
Dragnfly

In most cases, if you have your right hand at the front, you have right of way.
But remember, the person you have right of way over is likely to be a clueless idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JGTR

heretohelp wrote:It's all about communication. I give right of way to anyone who is better than me on the water, simple as that.
I'm the opposite, I try to give way to people who are learning when possible, easier for me to change direction than them.

When the wind is marginal it can be a nightmare as everyone wants to hold their line to get upwind.
Dave_T

JGTR wrote: I'm the opposite, I try to give way to people who are learning when possible, easier for me to change direction than them.
I agree... learners are much more likely to not be fully in control...
hoxton

Dragnfly wrote:In most cases, if you have your right hand at the front, you have right of way.
But remember, the person you have right of way over is likely to be a clueless idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah this.