Kite emergency advice

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
Scdonald

Last sunday i was out in gusty conditions with my north rebel kite and it landed on its back directly down wind. I was struggling to get the kite back onto the leading edge and relaunch. (this is a recurring problem i am having with this kite). While trying to do this the tide and strong waves were pushing me towards my kite and no matter how much i tried to get further away i kept drifting closer. I started to notice that my left leg had wrapped round one of the back lines and then the kite flipped onto the leading edge and relaunched. the lines went tight around my left leg but thankfully i managed to straighten it out and they came free. I then proceded to pull in on the 5th line until i reached the kite and could return back to the beach. Has anyone had a simillair situation when they drift towards the kite? how would you deal with this situation? also when my kite lands on its back down wind even if i pull on the fifth and get it back on the leadng edge it does not seem to want to turn on its side to relaunch. any advice would be greatly appreciated.
JGTR

When you say on it's back do you mean leading edge down on the water with the under side of the canopy facing you or with the top side of the canopy on the water with the leading edge making a big smiley face at you??
Scdonald

back of kite on water, leading edge off the water top side of canopy facing, this bits is less of a problem because i can pull the fifth and back line and get the kite back on leading edge but cant get the kite to move toward any side of the window.
JGTR

Scdonald wrote:back of kite on water, leading edge off the water top side of canopy facing, this bits is less of a problem because i can pull the fifth and back line and get the kite back on leading edge but cant get the kite to move toward any side of the window.

So kite is as the picture - with the 5th line it is very easy to get the kite to relaunch but you need to learn the technique.

1. Grab one side of the bar and pull it in, keep it pulled in.
2. Grab the 5th line and pull it hard, you need to pull it as far back as you can, sometimes you'll need 2 grab another arms length. I sometimes find it easier to grab the 5th line above the bar and pull it in.
3. Immediately swim toward the kite - this will allow the kite to tilt back approx 45 degrees - if you don't swim towards the kite it won't work. (Edit it will work sometimes but makes it much easier if you swim towards kite while keeping 5th line pulled in).
4. DO NOT let the kite roll all the way over onto its back.
5. The kite should start to move to one side of the window, as it does slowly let the 5th line out.

Basically what is happening is as the kite tilts back it reduces the amount of leading edge I contact with the water allowing it to slide either left or right. By keeping one side of the bar pulled in it folds one side of the canopy in allowing it to catch the air and the kite will move to that side of the window.
There are loads of videos on youtube :-D
Scdonald

Thanks for this, I do try this and it normally works but i would not say its easy and reliable. My problem last week was i kept drifting closer to the kite so i would have had to pull in a number of metres of line to get any tension.
JGTR

Try swimming to the side rather than against the tide/waves