Proper Posture

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
hoxton

So, i've been kitesurfing a while now and have started to get some golfers elbow, yay.
I went to the physio and the advice given was that I should look at my posture when I kite.

She said:
Power up through the legs, don't grip so hard, make sure you are using your body weight rather than your muscles to balance the kite.

This all makes sense to me, and to be honest I thought my posture was pretty dammed good but when I went kiting today I realised that I was doing a couple of things.

1) I was holding the power in my shoulders not in my waist
2) The majority of my weight was over the back leg.

Does anyone else do this? Is it wrong? If so how should I correct it? anything else that might help?

THis is a good example of what my posture looks like.

Thanks.
stewynew

There is lots to discuss about this and I am sure many people will have differing opinions.

I am not saying this is your case but this is common in people who are riding overpowered. If your struggling to get your shoulders back without being pulled forward, try a smaller kite or loads more depower. If this is not your problem and your comfortable with the power, try lowering the kite a bit, then can then lean back against it.

I hope some of this helps....?
southseasailor

You might want to do some stretches after a kite session too. Kite bars are not the most ergonomical of things. Your wrists can end up a bit kinked which isn't a great problem, but if you are hanging on too tight/too much bar pressure then I am not surprised you got sore elbows.

Don't forget some stretches for your hips and legs etc. Some muscle groups can become dominant and lead to real problems.
broraboyan

stewynew wrote:There is lots to discuss about this and I am sure many people will have differing opinions.

I am not saying this is your case but this is common in people who are riding overpowered. If your struggling to get your shoulders back without being pulled forward, try a smaller kite or loads more depower. If this is not your problem and your comfortable with the power, try lowering the kite a bit, then can then lean back against it.

I hope some of this helps....?
This is interesting as I would say that the girl in the picture is underpowered, something I know of as I had been getting sore arms before getting a bigger kite. Half the problem with me learning was going out in conditions that I was underpowered, possibly a smaller board might be the answer and going up a kite size might sort your arm problem.
hoxton

Heres an interesting idea. Why doesn't everyone find a picture of the perfect riding stance and post it up. It would be interesting to see if there are any differences and if so why.
ianbeasley

Working the kite hard when under powered does it to me, a bigger kite with depower on so the bar is floating 1/3 the way up the chicken
Loop lines gets your shoulders back & the power going through your legs & harness
Dragnfly

I'm not going to go on about stance etc, but I do swear by high strength cod liver oil tablets. A few months worth of those (make sure they are the big high strength ones), and see how you are after a month. Go on - what have you got to loose, except about £8 possibly? Then put another post on here in a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lucie

To stop my golfers elbow I stopped gripping the bar and started flying with my thumbs on the top of the bar..... really did help me.
southseasailor

lucie wrote:To stop my golfers elbow I stopped gripping the bar and started flying with my thumbs on the top of the bar..... really did help me.
Yes, good point. That will stop you gripping too hard.
hoxton

lucie wrote:To stop my golfers elbow I stopped gripping the bar and started flying with my thumbs on the top of the bar..... really did help me.
Gripping with just the thumbs?!? No wait gripping with fingers and thumbs over the bar.
defever
Antispam: No

From KiteboardingEvolution.com...

http://www.kiteboardingevolution.com/tr ... ocId905359

Regarding the grip, I think lucie meant to say:

Rather than wrapping the bar with your fingers and thumb (as most of us do)...

It's less strenuous to the forearm muscles with the thumb over the bar, like...

The bar's purpose is to steer, and not to hold on. There's no need for a power grip, so the "false" grip (thumb over the bar) is good enough, I believe.

I hope this makes sense.
lucie

Thanks, defever. That is exactly what I meant. :)
hoxton

Yes perfect sense, thanks, I already use a finger grip but with the wrists much straighter.

ill try rolling oner the wrists like this and see if it makes a difference.

random side note, those are the hands of Al Kavadlo he's a total lunatic and runs the calesthenics forum over at dragondoor, don't know why I didn't think of asking those guys as they're all about strength and grip and technique etc.
phil5556

I grip like this too

Which seems to work for me unless I'm over powered then I think I tighten my grip.

Someone once told me to try and "hump the bar" I have no idea if this is good advice or not but I try and get my hips forward and shoulders back and can definitely feel when I get it right. Overpowered I end up leaning forward into the poo position.
craigboddington
Antispam: No

Lead with your d*ck is another good point of reference, helps to get your hips forward!