Back roll

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
jimhoughton
Antispam: No

Hi all,

I've been trying back rolls for what seems like ages now and I always have the same problem, basically that I get round but then the kite is either on the wrong side or heading towards the sea pretty quickly. I haven't yet ridden out of one. Any ideas? I find it hard to know how to hold the bar when going round.

Thanks,

Jim
JGTR

Where do you put your hands? Both hands should be in the centre, natural tendency will be for one hand (usually the back hand) to pull the bar and move the kite - by keeping both hands in the middle it should help stop the lite moving.
jimhoughton

That's helpful, thanks. I tend to leave my hands where they are normally. I'll try that next time.

Cheers
David
Site Admin

This has been asked a lot over the years, so I made a little video!

Just got to find it!!!
David
Site Admin

Hope it helps, like JGTR said, keep your hands in the middle of the bar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=840HBcmHbw0
Dragnfly

After you have left the water, take your back hand off the bar. Keep looking over your back shoulder.
RichTW

What Dragnfly said... back hand off the bar and ride it out :)
Dragnfly

Ummm. Except it should say 'front' shoulder, of course. DOH!!
JamesMacdonald

where ideally should the kite be positioned ?
managed to do it about twice and ride away , everything felt super smooth , now seem to have the same problem , kite off in wrong direction with me following it very fast ! will try the back hand thing.
hoxton

Typically there's two types of back rolls. One where you send the kite and one where you don't.

The second option is easier in my oppinion.

Leave the kite at 45 half ten, load and pop, look over your front shoulder. Keep looking.

Practice getting your load and pop nice first. A little kicker will help in the beginning.

For a sent back roll. Send the kite to twelve as you take off look over you front shoulder and start pulling on your front hand. Think "front hand front hand" as you rotate.

The reason the popped version is easier is that you only have to deal with the rotation, and not bother with the kite.

Hands in the center of the bar.

Good luck. And let me know how you get on.
hoxton

Hey, hows it going? I've just finished a tutorial for the back roll that might help, let me know :)

[bbvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/4gQQnluFGHc[/bbvideo]
mercakite

Hi there!

Did you finally get it?

Cheers!