Self launching

Need help getting upwind or nailing that powered back mobe? Ask your 'how to' questions here.
technohedge

Recently made a kite stake from a sand anchor type thing (works pretty much the same as those metal ones you can buy but was a lot cheaper).

Trouble is my kite wont sit stable at the edge of the window when i set it. As soon as it is let go she starts bouncing around and backflying
and then tumbles. Basically it wont sit nice and its a gamble as to weather i can hook in quick enough before it all goes tits!

Anyone any advice on using them? Kite i ride is Naish Torch (12m and 10m)

This was my last hope at finding a 'safe' and 'controlled' way to self launch. Tried every other method i can think of/research and they all sketchy as hell!

churrs!

Dave
Dragnfly

Are you pulling plenty of depower on before leaving it?

I personally self launch by setting up as normal, hooking in and walking round the edge of the window. Why don't you just do that, instead of using a stake - which you then either have to leave buried in the sand as a trip/ impact hazard, or faff about putting it away/ hiding it somewhere? Self launch with no stake means you can do it right at the waters edge rather than having to walk a long way with the kite in the air.
Blast

Its a C kite so maybe best to do it the old fashioned way of putting sand on one wing tip?
JGTR

I launch my 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010
Torches using the stake method with absolutely no problem at all, kite will just sit there waiting to launch. I have it fully powered, if its really windy I pull about 1/4 de power. I find too much depower and it becomes too unstable.
technohedge

Dragnfly wrote:Are you pulling plenty of depower on before leaving it?

I personally self launch by setting up as normal, hooking in and walking round the edge of the window. Why don't you just do that, instead of using a stake - which you then either have to leave buried in the sand as a trip/ impact hazard, or faff about putting it away/ hiding it somewhere? Self launch with no stake means you can do it right at the waters edge rather than having to walk a long way with the kite in the air.

Tried this, seems to work and would be my preferred method, but on the beaches I ride the shells are abundant and they are like razors. Ive destroyed a kite and a leading edge on another doing this. I have to avoid dragging them across the sand wherever possible. Plus the beach is really small so theres no dry sand which would be more forgiving :(
technohedge

also, if anyone has a link to a video of someone using the folded wingtip method of launching a c kite that would be great :)

seen this technique... can anyone comment? ive heard a few people say this works well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8m2zYe30Ww
JGTR

Folded wingtip does work on Torches but because the wing tips are swept it puts a lot of stress on the leading edge, newer Torches may be better as the wing tips are squarer but it causes significant stress on my Torches so I avoid doing it as much as possible. The main danger is that the kite is not attached to anything so if it moves then you have to run after it, it's pretty safe in the lower wind ranges, very sketchy when it's blowing well. I only use it when I have a lot of space e.g out on the sandbanks in the Thames Estuary and won't do it on the beach where members of public can get access.
Procedure I use:
Lay out lines downwind as normal.
Move bar and lines into launch position.
Flip kite over and hold the wingtip against the sand so kite in launch position.
Fold corner over - on traditional C kites you could fold the whole wingtip over, on Torches you can only really do the corner.
Pile sand ontop od folded over bit until there is enough to hold kite in position, don't put any sand on inside of canopy or it can stop kite launching.
Run like hell and grab bar, tension lines to fill canopy and give bar sharp tug to flip sand off.

Other option which I have used on SLE kites to stop kite being dragged across surface is:

Face kite side onto to wind and put sand on canopy next to main centre strut on side closest to wind, you are aiming to get the the windward side weighted down and the other side filled with air, grab bar and walk round, if done correctly the kite should just roll into launch position without any sliding.
Like this but turn the kite first rather than use the rear line to drag the kite.
http://youtu.be/1sPjDau6_n0
JGTR

technohedge wrote:also, if anyone has a link to a video of someone using the folded wingtip method of launching a c kite that would be great :)

seen this technique... can anyone comment? ive heard a few people say this works well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8m2zYe30Ww
I've thought about this but haven't been able to work out a consistent method, very hit and miss, what you don't see in the video is the kite actuaually being launched from the sand and into the air. Times when I have leashes out and kite ended up like this I have not been able to get it back into the air.
technohedge

theoretically though if you took your kite out over water and performed this launch then it would be the same as resetting/relaunching fromt he water after firing your safety during a session?

granted that doesn't always go to plan either though...
JGTR

The smiley face position is always a pig to get back up. It helps on water that the kite sticks to the water more on land.....

Still can't see why you can't tether it....what year Torch do you have? Must have launched mine over 50 times with no issues at all......????
kman

I made a land anchor out of a corkscrew type thing I picked up in Lidl (meant to hold up a spinning washing line). Just attached a carabiner to the anchor which I connect to the Chicken loop and have separate leash (pegged to the ground) connected to the fifth line (with a bit of slack). Works a treat with my Rebels, always have them fully depowered.

Do have a leash connected to the fifth line/centre line/or wherever you normally connect. If so is there enough slack on this?

K
Roland

technohedge wrote: Trouble is my kite wont sit stable at the edge of the window when i set it. As soon as it is let go she starts bouncing around and backflying
and then tumbles. Basically it wont sit nice and its a gamble as to weather i can hook in quick enough before it all goes tits!
Double check all your line lengths Dave cause I`ve never had any trouble with my Torches when tethered launching/landing, find them very well behaved as it goes....
TheKiteGuru

Theres a great video on this link

http://thekiteguru.com/essential-safety/

Aparently in Hawaii every one self launches which if its safe to do so is pretty cool as with modern kites its super easy and very safe if you dont touch your bar.