Newborough, Anglesey

All three of the "Wales" forums now merged together ~ Local info and chat.
skyte
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

Newborough, Anglesey...

Conditions: Flatwater, Chop and Swell

Kitesurf launch: Anywhere you like really, but if there are other beachgoers about, go left or right up the beach to avoid them!

Parking: £2 to get access to the National Trust carpark. At the end of the road park up in the carpark behind the dunes.

Accomodation: Some camp sites nearby. Please don't park in the carpark overnight unless you really must, and please take all your crap home with you... This is one of the top ten cleanest beaches in Europe and anyone caught littering will be shot, no questions asked.

Hazards: :!: Mussel beds! barefoot riders beware... bleeding feet is fairly commonplace, but oh how they love the extra feeling and board control!

:!: Take a good wind reading as the wind here often comes in sets... and the big ones can kick some serious ass if you picked a kite for the lulls!

:!: Overcrowding in the lagoon as the tide goes out... like fish in a barrel everyone just can't get enough of that lagoon. On busy days be considerate to the beginners who have a good chance of learning in this lagoon. Piss off into the waves and wait for the tide to turn!

NB. Since writing this, the lagoons have now all but disappeared due to shifting sands :-( Fingers crossed they will appear again someday.

:!: Ice Cream from the corner shop in the town!!! The Magnum I bought had no best before date on it (so presumably it was from a pack that they then sold seperately) I felt bloated straight away, spent the night puking, and the next 2 days with aching head and kidneys. Just unlucky I guess, but please do your shopping at Tesco before going to the beach.

Works on wind directions: SE through S to W (Gusty on a Westerly)

Tides: Can be sailed on any tide state

Permit Required: No, not at the moment!

General: One of the most beautiful spots I have ever been to. Clean, untouched, unspoilt by nobheads.... please help keep it that way!
To avoid a ban or necessity to enforce a permit scheme, please use common sense when there are people on the beach and make the effort to carry your kit away from the entrance of the beach in either direction.

The lagoons and channels change each year, but provide some silky smooth flatwater for a few hours between tides. The waves out back can get up to 1.5m faces but are usually 1m-ish and good fun.

NB. Since writing this, the lagoons have now all but disappeared due to shifting sands :-( Fingers crossed they will appear again someday.

The beach is about 4miles long so don't feel you have to stick together!

If you see someone in trouble and you are stood on the beach, go and help them... it may be your kite washing over the mussel beds next time and you will be grateful when we come running!
Last edited by skyte on Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sq225917
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

right then you gay boys, i want to see sheep, big ass airs and hard core kiteloops tomorrow or there will be trouble.
skyte
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

A good session today despite the forecast force6 not showing up... big kite session for most but somehow Ron used his 11m Yarga all day (light fantastic I guess) and SQ was blasting about on the 13.5. Good to see so many faces there, it almost felt crowded at times. There was some young ripper on a Takoon riding very smooth... don't know his name tho.

Towards the end of the day it picked up to i'd guess around 18knots (the sand was shifting on the beach) a few of us kept holding onto the big kites cos we couldn't be arsed to pump anything else up... me on a 17m strike, paul on a 16m Matrix and marizu on a 20m rhino4!

Unfotunately no onboard footage this time because i broke the bag last weekend... a pity cos there would have been loads of victims to put it on today!

See you all soon
sq225917
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

good sesh despite the wind.

have to give that vid in a bag a spin.
skyte
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

sq225917 wrote:good sesh despite the wind.

have to give that vid in a bag a spin.
Maybe... not sure if it'll stand up to your landings tho :-D and it's never been tested that high before! :!:
ptben
Team/Shop Rider
Team/Shop Rider

There is a possibility of zoning next year due to some incidents over the summer season. I spoke to the warden from Newborough yesterday about the possibility of zoning after the incident listed above. The current proposal is to keep all kite activity to the far left of the beach (looking at the water) through the summer season which is mid-April to September and no restrictions during the other months. The area will be clearly marked.
samski-d

haven't been to newborough for over a year. went today and there seems to be a new warden. I had chatted a couple of times to the old warden who was a really nice guy and had been pretty reasonable about where we can kite. he was happy as long as we were out of the way of beach users and swimmers. so if beach users set up in the kiting area, it was fine for us to move the other side to stay clear. the new guy is very by the book. granted, he allowed us free reign through the morning but came and moved a bunch of us back across to the left of the rocks later on (even though there only ever walkers, way up the beach at that bottom corner). as i chatted to him, i mentioned beach users being both sides of the rocky point, i was staying out of the way etc and i just didnt want to hurt anyone. his response was that if beach goers are in the kiting area, it's their responsibility. while this might be fine from his point of view, i do not consider it other peoples responsibility if i hit them. im pretty sure its my fault (in normal circumstances). anyway, we all obeyed and tacked to the other side of the rocky point. it soon got pretty busy and jammed up, esp with a few beginners about. the wind was up and down, mostly onshore but with a bit of cross from the left as you looked out, so it was difficult to spread out being pushed into the corner. as it happened there was a family swimming not far along from the rocks that i noticed as i came round. the mother was clearly switched on and stood upwind of her children, keeping an eye out, but they were essentially in the main area people were kiting. i took a few tacks, then got 'stuck' between a couple of kiters and this family, and decided it was getting rediculous. stood on the shore for a few minutes in disbelief at how chaotic it looked, then went and had a chat with the woman. she definitely had her head screwed on, and was aware of us. had come to newy as she expected us all to be up at rossy (too much south in it). i explained that 5 or 6 of us and just been sent here and thats why it had got more busy suddenly as we added to the others already there. she wasnt too aware of the zoning but said she didnt understand why we werent the other side cos 1. she said it was a long walk for her to get down there and 2. she pointed out we had a nice 'reef' there and the side she was on was pretty 'boring'. anyway, they moved on shortly and all was well, but i left the beach with the impression that if this rule keeps being enforced blindly in this way, we could see more incidents either between kiters due to crowding or between kites and beach goers.

in other news, the first flat spot that comes out is still there (non-kiters side of the rocks) but the sand has moved and there nothing to speak of on the other side now, just shallow rocks...

might stay away form newy for a while after today