Hayling Island Membership Checks

Camber Sands to Exmouth ~ Local info and chat.
Spineless

Hayling Island Membership Checks

Post by Spineless »

I have to admit, I have not been active in the checking of membership at Hayling but this affects all members who use this spot and this makes me think twice.... The problem is, if you confront someone who is not a member (and therefore a threat to the use of this spot should they be involved in a serious accident), what can you do if they ignore you? Aside from a giving them a good slap and cutting their kites up, the choices seem limited. However, if all members play a role in this, we can reduce the number of non members kiting and reduce the risk of closure.

Part of email....
"I was contacted earlier this week by the golf course as they have had some complaints about us recently, its very important that we all wear the rash vests and try to setup as far up the beach as possible to ensure we don’t scare/ have issues with the other beach users.

The golf course are concerned that there are many people coming down which are not members as they have counted lots of people not wearing them recently.

If you are on the beach and you see someone riding or setting up without a rash vest please approach them and ask them to join or contact me.( I AM NOT OMNIPRESENT)

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE FUTURE OF US USING THIS BEACH AND WE ARE BEING WATCHED VERY CLOSELY AT THE MOMENT!!!!!

If you are not a member you cannot ride, not even once, it would be great if more members could actually help with the checking of this.."

ANy other suggestions??? Answers on a postcard please!!

lard

Re: Hayling Island Membership Checks

Post by lard »

I think some big-ass signage at the entrance to the beach stating that it's members only and that an HKA rash vest must be worn would be a help (I don't think there's one there now - if there is, it isn't big-ass enough....)

Paul

G-Bru

Post by G-Bru »

Good idea Paul, it would make punters think twice about setting up at least! Perhaps enforcing a No Vest - No Ride rule would also help.

G.

Spineless

Post by Spineless »

I believe that there are signs there that state that membership is required. I think it is up to us all to point out to anyone not wearing one, that they should not be kiting. If they claim to be members, then they can be pointed (although they should already know) in the direction of a HKA comitee member to borrow one? Agree that it should be clear on the sign that "No resh vest, no riding is permitted".

lard

Post by lard »

Spineless wrote:I believe that there are signs there that state that membership is required. I think it is up to us all to point out to anyone not wearing one, that they should not be kiting. If they claim to be members, then they can be pointed (although they should already know) in the direction of a HKA comitee member to borrow one? Agree that it should be clear on the sign that "No resh vest, no riding is permitted".

I think you're right about the signs but if I remember rightly they are tiny and have been there for years and don't reflect the current situation with regard to membership. I'll drop Chris Bull a line a see if it's something he thinks worthwhile.

Paul

DjMoz

Post by DjMoz »

I rode at Hayling 4 times last week, one day without the rash vest on! I will endeavour to make sure I have it at all times, as well as the tag on the back of my harness and membership card.

I can completely agree with the "no member no ride" rule but an absolute "no rashvest no ride rule"? surely is a bit far when there are three types of identification, the rash vest is just a simple visual.

DM

Superman

Post by Superman »

Yo Spineless - just so's i'm clear who is checking memberships - who are you?

Are u in the HKA committee?

Luke (short ass instructor)

Spineless

Post by Spineless »

Luke, I'm just a member who values kiting at Hayling and was responding to an email that Bully sent out to all HKA members. He mentioned that it was down to us all to check membership and NOT just the HKA commitee who I think do it most of the time. It seems that despite all the measures put in place to secure Hayling as a kite spot, all it takes is a non-member to have an accident, particularly with a member of the public and all that effort could go to waste.......as well as fantastic spot. I guess I was feeling guilty as I admit I have never paid much attention as to whether other kiters there are actually members.

If we were all a little more dilligent from time to time then maybe this would be less of an issues and the future of Hayling would be more secure...

Thats it.... nothing more, nothing less!!!

Nathan. (crap kiter!)

Superman

Post by Superman »

No worries Nathan

Your probably right and we should all do abit more as long as its approcahed with a friendly attituide.

On my part I often like to give a little free on the water coaching (mainly put your kite lower!) But often this is met with a look of 'why are u shouting at me'

Catch up on the beach

Cheers

Luke (eaisly recognisable short ass)

gillstah

Post by gillstah »

as a visitor rather than local i feel a bit odd coming up to people and asking about membership.

perhaps we should team up when on the beach? two heads better than one...

paul
(easily recognisable with a surfboard)

Antigrav

Post by Antigrav »

Just wondering, if I rock up at the beach will I be able to pick up a rashvest from somewhere? I've paid my membership and everything but haven't been to hayling or got my rashy yet, but do I have to email before I come and make sure there is a rash vest down there for me to have?

gillstah

Post by gillstah »

antigrav - you need to grab them from ocean addiction (on the roundabout by the fair). they are usually open at the weekends but might be best to give them a call and make sure, as i went past a couple of times last year hoping to get the rash vest and they were shut.

paul.

diggers

Post by diggers »

lard wrote:I think you're right about the signs but if I remember rightly they are tiny and have been there for years and don't reflect the current situation with regard to membership. I'll drop Chris Bull a line a see if it's something he thinks worthwhile.l

The sign at the entrance is relatively new. We put it up in Sep last year and is really the largest we were allowed. It does clearly state 'Private Beach - Members Only' which the council didn't like but I ignored them.

The trouble is, those non-members who want to ride will (and do) ignore signs no matter how big. Anyone who has conducted membership checks will confirm the grief and abuse you often get by those who believe it is their absolute right to kite where they want. This includes some current HKA members who bring along non-member mates.

The membership rule has always been a self-policing policy - policied by us, the members. The bare minimum every member should be doing is asking for proof of HKA membership from anyone wanting a launch - no mebership, no launch.

It doesn't matter whether you come from afar or a local (the majority of members are from London, Home Counties, not local), we're all members and should all be doing the most basic of checks on anyone we see not wearing a rashie. We've paid to kite here, they won't have.

Mr X

Post by Mr X »

Superman wrote:[color=#0000BF]Your probably right and we should all do abit more as long as its approcahed with a friendly attituide.

Absolutely agree with this - attitude is everything.

I haven't been able to collect my rash vest as yet as the shop is usually closed when I drive past and I was accosted in the most aggressive, belligerent manner on the beach yesterday with accusations that I wasn't a member being made.

Despite having since proved my membership I have not received an apology.

Splashdown

Post by Splashdown »

Mr X wrote:
Superman wrote:[color=#0000BF]Your probably right and we should all do abit more as long as its approcahed with a friendly attituide.

Absolutely agree with this - attitude is everything.

I haven't been able to collect my rash vest as yet as the shop is usually closed when I drive past and I was accosted in the most aggressive, belligerent manner on the beach yesterday with accusations that I wasn't a member being made.

Despite having since proved my membership I have not received an apology.

I believe that your meant to carry a print out of your membership conformation email with you in your kite bag. Then you can prove your membership and everyone's a happy bunny! :-)