FAQ - Buying Gear Abroad

What is a kitesurfing resource ?
kitesurfa

Having spent ages search the web and not finding the correct info I have started this thread...

First question
Has anyone one bought any kite gear from Denmark ?

As Denmark isn't in the Euro... What are the hidden costs if importing to UK
Tax and Duty costs ?

To continue the thread What are the typical hidden costs from other locations around the world ?

Always better to buy and support UK dealers - but at some point there may be that one bargin you cant refuse - or it may look a bargin until you know what if any the hidden costs are.

Many of the EU countries have no extra or hidden costs except postage as you pay the tax when you purchase an item.
My search results also mentioned about possible extra tax and duty on 2nd Hand ebay items.

Posting details below may help and save others waisting time searching the web.
kitesurfa

Within the EU goods do not have to be declared to Customs.
Excise Duty must be paid on excisable goods.

EU Countries
Austria - Belgium - Bulgaria - Cyprus - Czech Republic - Denmark - Estonia - Finland - France - Germany - Greece - Hungary - Ireland - Italy - Latvia - Lithuania - Luxembourg - Malta - Netherlands - Poland - Portugal - Romania - Slovakia - Slovenia - Spain - Sweden - United Kingdom

Buying Goods from Overseas - Non European Union (EU) Countries
What goods are subject to Duty & VAT?
All goods imported into the UK from outside the EU must be declared to HM Customs & Excise and, in most cases, are subject to customs duty & VAT.
This includes goods bought over the Internet.

Who is liable to pay Duty and VAT charges?
The person receiving the shipment is legally obliged to pay Duty and VAT except where the person sending the shipment has agreed to accept these charges in the contract of sale.

Duty is usually a percentage, and averages between 5-9% with extremes of nil and 85% on certain items.

TARIC database - http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds/tarhome_en.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by kitesurfa on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GSter

As a FYI:
Our friendly neighbourhood Customs and Excise also add VAT / Duty charges not only to the product cost, but also to the postage cost from the foreign country (so this is the first bit of getting bum raped by our Nation/Government bodies!)

The second bit happens when they (C&E) 'determine' the actual cost/value of the parcel which on occasions is indiscriminate and makes no sense, usually NOT in the consuner's favour.

The third and final bit of open robbery by our Nation comes from the Royal Mail / Parcel Force who also add a handling fee for passing the parcel through UK customs (at their own expense!) and then inviting you to visit the Parcel Force depot to pay them a hefty handing sum for their trouble. By doing so, they actually do not incur the cost of getting off their fat useless arses and delivering the parcel to your front door!

I am not bitter and only got over this raping by the fact that I search hard and low for the best items and off set this 'inbuggerance / raping' in the decision to buy from abroad! I make the assumption they make it as hard as possible to try to out people off! ;)
dipper

i recently got a nemesis of ebay from the us. If you ask nicely and they mark it down as a gift and under the value of $99 i think then you wont be taxed on it. Ive done it with a few ebay purchases. Not sure customs would be to clued up on the price of kites either Not sure about denmark though
Pyro Tim

GSter, you obviously don't deal with customs yourself very often, but this is the same process that our friendly importers have to go through with every shipment. You think it is easier than it is, and you feel raped. Unfortunately, you have to pay members of staff to deal with customs authorities.

C & E know the costs per piece, and per KG for every item coming into the country, thanks to statistics provided by the thousands of imports and exports. Therefore, if you say a £1000 item is worth £2.50, they know you are lying and will charge you the duty at the level it should be.

Yes, it is deliberately difficult, because they want to encourage us to buy within the UK or at least the EU, to keep our economy working.
dbinit
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Last year was a good time to buy abroad , epecially from USA , but the sterling is so weak right now , i can't imagine you could currently make any savings.

Never mind the fact that you will likely have to pay shipping and taxes. As for marking the value down, very risky. If it gets lost in the post or damaged which is not uncommon , you may only get $99 back. And if it gets scanned or opened , you are in trouble.