FAQ - Wetsuit Guide

What is a kitesurfing resource ?
Dannyboy2k

I'm 6'2' and have around a 32 inch waist.

Bought an O'Neill Epic, 5:3, the other week and went out around the Gower this weekend. Everybody else froze but I was snug as a bug in a rug! It's because it fits me so well, Medium Tall, absolutely perfect.

I've not done a lot of kiting or surfing but the advice I got was that it has to fit for anything to happen. So my £129 Epic works perfectly and keeps me really warm because it fits like a very well fitted glove. I was steaming when I got out of it!

Anybody got any advice on boots, gloves and hats? My hands and feet were very cold!
kitesurfa

Wetsuit Temperature Chart

Water Temperature .. How the Water Feels to the Body - What Type of Suit to Wear
>26°C ~ >80°F .. Bath Water - None Needed
22-26°C ~ 72-80°F .. Comfortable - Wetsuit Trunks or Shorty or Sleeveless Shorty
18-22°C ~ 65-72°F .. Cool at First - Short John Arms / Full Leg Wetsuit
15-18°C ~ 60-65°F .. Very Chilly - Full Wetsuit or Drysuit
10-15°C ~ 50-60°F .. Extremely Chilly - Full Wetsuit or Drysuit
<10°C ~ <50°F .. May Cause Shock use caution - Full Wetsuit or Drysuit with gloves, hood, and booties
Spineless

I've just got my new Snugg wetsuit. Fits and feels like a dream. I see from other comments about getting out of the damn thing ! If any of you have sussed this out since you posted those remarks, feel free to let me know and avoid the 'kiter have a fit' technique I am currently using !
defever
Antispam: No

Last post dated 2007... Revival!

I'm looking into getting a custom wetsuit (a friend of Snugg!), but as it is my first winter kiting season coming, I'm not so sure about the thickness of the suit with wind chill factor in mind.

I've been surfing a lot and I used to have 5/3mm off the peg suits; I'm confident that I'd be happy with 4/3mm hooded custom suit all winter (even like in the last winter!) to surf, knowing that the customised fit will keep me warm with less neoprene.

I realise that kitesurfing in winter is a different a matter to surfing in winter. the WINDCHILL. I'm hoping to go out on 25+knots so even more to consider wind chill factor.

So my question is, for those who have Snugg and other custom measured wetsuit, how thick is your wettie? 4/3mm enough or 5/3mm is the go?
Is sharkskin / smoothskin on the chest and back panel essential to protect body heat from the wind or not?

I doubt that I'd get any response knowing the last post was dated back in 2007, but worth the try as I know there are alot of knowledgeable folks on here!

Thanks again!
Ade G

Re
I've just got my new Snugg wetsuit. Fits and feels like a dream. I see from other comments about getting out of the damn thing ! If any of you have sussed this out since you posted those remarks, feel free to let me know and avoid the 'kiter have a fit' technique I am currently using !
Got my 2nd Snugg last year, 1st neck entry, have cracked getting it off but took a while.

Pull the shoulder one side towards your arm them pull material on that arm from the bicep towards your elbow then the material from your forearm towards your wrist. Having done this you should be able to pull material on that arm over your hand i.e. stretching the material so it goes over your hand. (This in effect is the reverse of putting it on)
Repeat until the side of the neck hole is somewhere nr your elbow then pull the material over your elbow and then you can get your arm out. Other arm should be alot easier now to pull your arm out (turning arm material inside out as you do it. Rest of the suit is as per any other wetsuit now.

I thought there was a video on youtube/vimeo but cant find it now
lordfak

Getting out of a Snugg.
Wear a long sleeve rash vest. Makes all the difference.
With a rashie I can just pull the 1st arm out by pulling on the cuff with the other hand. Easy!
Without a rashie I need help.