A kite club for the North East?

Berwick-upon-Tweed to Southend ~ Local info and chat.
jomoj

A kite club for the North East?

Post by jomoj »

Hello
along with some other local kiters I'm looking into what's involved in setting up a club - BKSA affiliated preferably but not essential - to represent kiters using beaches in Northumberland, S Tyneside, Durham and Teeside. We're pretty fortunate as far as access issues go (if not always with the wind) but there are growing numbers of kitesurfers in the region and signs that more beaches are likely to be zoned or controlled in Northumberland for a start.

So basically - a rough straw poll to see who would be interested in joining, forming and / or hopefully helping to run a club to make sure we have points of contact in the region for any issues arising - and hopefully organise a few events, socials and other benefits along the way?

any input welcome
cheers

Joe

peet

Re: A kite club for the North East?

Post by peet »

This is a very good idea, especially considering the proposed zoning at Blyth, interactions with NaturalEngland at Budle bay, and the HUUUGE wind farm planned off Redcar sea front.

We need a club to protect our interests :)
Pete

gillstah

Post by gillstah »

hey joe, pete

what's the story with blyth?

paul.

joelthehandlepasser
Location: probably sat at school while the wind is pumping outside lol

Post by joelthehandlepasser »

I would be happy to but to far north

jomoj

Post by jomoj »

gillstah wrote:hey joe, pete

what's the story with blyth?

paul.

hi Paul
basically the bay is being zoned for watersports - there's already a jetski zone for which a club was required - and beach warden has been in touch via the NEKS forum to strongly suggest that we get organised for a consultation re: kitesurfing that will happen in the autumn. He is offering to help set up a club for Blyth but there's been some discussion about the wider area as well. We all know Budle is a sensitive area and it would be a tragedy if we lost acess to that spot for the 6 months we already have.

A meeting is planned for sunday 6th at 8pm in the Astley Arms, seaton sluice, to discuss the Blyth situation and make a start on getting something together. It's not going to be jsut about Blyth though so anyone who kites in the area and has an interest in representation to help keep our lovely beaches open is welcome and can pm me for more info.

cheers

Joe

ashighasa

Post by ashighasa »

I'm in.

Rebellion

Post by Rebellion »

Count me OUT!

Never been any problems in the North East and this is a certain way of drawing attention to the sport for some councillor to get twitchy and stamp restrictions. Take a look at what is happening at beaches like Ainsdale and all the problems they have over there because of their Club. Speak to anyone who kites there and you will see what a nitemare the whole thing is.

Hobbsurf
Location: Cleethorpes - Nothing but oil spills, sharks and it's a Pikey Beach in the summer. Try Skeg!

Post by Hobbsurf »

We thought about this a while back and I think it was Adam who got the credit for coming up with:

Cleethorpes Upto Newcastle Tyne Stretch. Strangely no-one thought it was a good idea :wink: