Places to kitesurf GTY area

Berwick-upon-Tweed to Southend ~ Local info and chat.
fishbone
Antispam: No

Hey all

Mrs fish has got a new job in Great Yarmouth and we're relocating soon so I'm looking for new places to kitesurf around the GTY area. Plus where we choose to live will be a bit biased to where the spots are! I'm only a beginner having only learnt last year so I'm looking for a spot where I can improve (fall in a lot) and not get into trouble as well as staying out of everyone elses way. I don't mind travelling to a good location but would prefer to be close to a good spot.

I've only been to GTY a couple of times and never to the beach but I can see from tinternet that there's a big following up there. Any information on beaches, wind directions, rules, parking restrictions etc. for good spots would be greatly appreciated! Plus how popular beaches are coz I don't really want to go out on my own.

Cheers
Cris
thetrash

Dont go out at Gt Yarmouth the tide runs fast and the water quality is shite. Gorleston is ok just to the south but further round to the north there are plenty of beaches that work
likestokite

There's loads of places to go, me and a mate took it up couple of years ago. We live just outside Norwich which is good as it gives you access to the wash round to the east coast; max 1hr 15mins drive. Here's a few locations and a bit of info:

Heacham - free parking on road, flatish water, best around high tide, long walk and muddy at low
New Hunstanton - pay and display parking near sailing club, flat water, can get busy, low tide spot
Old Hunstanton - A couple of car parks where you have to pay, set up to the South of the path from the lifeboat station, flat water at low tide, a bit of chop at high water, good location for beginners as plenty of kitesurfers around and lifeboat on your doorstep!! (but try not to use them)
Brancaster - Park at car park owned by golf club, flat water mid tide in lagoons, set up to West of golf clubhouse, stunning beach
Sea Palling - Couple of £1 car parks, lagoon behind rock sea defences (check google maps), can have lots of surf!
Winterton - Park on road out of season, usually a bit of chop.
Gorleston - Free parking on road, a bit sheltered so make sure there's plenty of wind.
Lowestoft - free parking on road, kitesurf south of the main beaches
Kessingland - free parking on road, never been here
Southwold - free parking in one car park, kitesurf on beach between the town and harbour, usually a bit of chop
Walberswick - car park, not kitesurfed here but apparently ok in a South Westerly (rare for east coast)

I moved to Norfolk 10 years ago, never look back, great place to live. If I were you I would think about living in / near Norwich (aside from the kitesurfing) as Yarmouth's got a bit of rep and obviously is a tourist town.

Let me know if you want to know anything in particular
fishbone

Cheers guys, that's loads of info, thanks! Yeah I've heard GTY has a bit of a rep but didn't realise it was a tourist place... We've looked at Norwich and it seems a pretty cool place but mrs wants to be a bit closer to Yarmouth coz of the commute so we're looking at south of Yarmouth area. Good to know there's some spots not too far away from here, cheers!
Ely

Newbie here looking to get out with some people, I live in Burgh Castle, outskirts of Yarmouth. Had 2 lessons
Ely

Yarmouth is an absolute dump, believe me