Hmmm got me a Go Pro at last .........but

All the latest from the world of digital photography and video.
kite-uk

I have a windows computer on XP I don't like change thanks

and I can down load my old china copy camera no issues in to windows movie maker does the job..

but the go pro wants to convert every thing to MP4 ????

just wondered if there is some thing I can do to change this and movie maker will not read it??

I have just down loaded some free thing ( god I hope it does not bugger up my computer ! http://www.pcfreetime.com/download.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

format factory or some thing..

am I doing the right thing? :shock: :?
kite-uk

just tried that free down load and although it has converted the film to .wvm or some thing it does not open in windows film maker.. got to say why Go Pro don't have a basic Film editor I will never know. Rubbish really considering the camera is £200 ! :roll:
w1nd

Have you tried cineform studio? That's the gopro software... You can convert and cut footage but not sure on the editing as haven't used it...
southseasailor

LOL!! (sorry!) welcome to the world of HD, had the same problem with my ATC9K camera (Oregon Scientific) it would play back on my old laptop, just, and Movie Maker just wouldn't entertain it at all. My Notebook is quite powerful and plays back any recordings very well but editing is a no no

I downloaded 'Go Pro Cineform' which is free, to convert the files for editing. My newest laptop isn't really strong enough for this, I can get away with a few minutes or so. You need a powerful PC and decent software. I keep meaning to buy such things, its worth it if you want good footage
vpas

kite-uk wrote:but the go pro wants to convert every thing to MP4
Eh? The GoPro video files are MP4 already.

HD videos take a lot to edit. Your best bet is to convert them into something that Movie Maker can handle, or check if there's a new version of Movie Maker or some additional codec plugins. I don't use it myself, so can't give a direct answer.

Looks like CineForm could help, by exporting in MOV format. It even runs on XP.
bretiller01
Antispam: No

Yep I found this issue irritating aswell, pretty much my laptop could not handle the information.

Untill I get a better pc, I've had to reduce the frame rate to below 30 @ 1080 this kinda helps - annoying that I can't utilize the go pro's full capabilities yet and I hadn't bargained on this when I got it.

I use cineform as it is pretty easy when you get used to it, but i NEVER convert the whole vid as it can takes hours, so I just convert the bits I want, edit in then out click convert

The images are fantastic but damn it's a pain. Need a super computer!
southseasailor

What helps me is to keep the recordings down to a minute or two, 5 mins at the max. My cam has options for this, nice and small clips. If I were to attempt anything more than 5 mins then my Laptop will crash. Each chunk gets converted, edited and then I am good to go IF the Laptop doesn't crap out :shock:

You might be looking at a good gaming PC to help with your requirements. I keep meaning to buy such a machine as HD is awesome, and you can burn your own DVDs and so on.
Sonnyrider

Sony Movie Studio, from £21 depending what flavour you get

And as has been stated by the others, you need a powerful PC to get the most if you want to work in HD video, this is not something you can be cheap with
A big CPU, large amount of RAM a big video card and a fast large Hard Drive

I have an i7 3.5GHz CPU (overclocked to 4.2GHz) with 32GB RAM, my GFX card has 2GB RAM and it still takes time to render HD video

If you do not have the power, then it will take time to render that's if your PC can even handle it in the first place

Mark, if you don't want to spend the money, then you'll have a long wait and do like the others, do it in segments

BTW, you bought a HD camera, not the video editing software. The software is free, something to get you started. It's free because it's basic, it gets the job done :-)
fdvj

Buy a mac :-D
creed
Antispam: No

fdvj wrote:Buy a mac :-D
kite-uk

yeah poss right

I just down loaded that free thing off go pro

locked my computer up!

Suddenly my China $40 video camera is not so bad afterall! works off the button in Movie maker easy as pie

Go pro hmmmmmm. The excitement is dropping off fast! lets put it this way. :?
Sonnyrider

creed wrote:
fdvj wrote:Buy a mac :-D
a mac or high end PC is the solution

Your old XP machine is just that, O L D :lol:
kite-uk

I don't like change :wink:
Sonnyrider

kite-uk wrote:I don't like change :wink:
Yet, you bought a GoPro . . .

Then found out your PC is a POS and not upto the task in hand :-D :P
rakeem15