Shinn 2016 Thread- the new spring release boards

Product news and press releases from supporting industry members.
(This section is now open for discussion)
Stevez
Antispam: No

Re: Shinn 2016 Thread- the new spring release boards

Post by Stevez »

Nice, I hoped jackson would be zeeko compatible :), I have this years foil which spans 85mm and 90mm widths on the plate.

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Mike B »

bovaboy wrote:Hi guys, I'm in need of a new twin tip and I'm very interested in the Shinns, especially the new line up. I need something to replace my current board which is a Naish Thorn 135X43 (I think) which is from 2009, always liked it but it does have a few problems. One of which is the flex, little too much and it twists slightly when loaded which I'm sure doesn't help me much.
I'm heavier than I want to be at just over 100kg but I don't want a lightwind board as I use the strapless for that, so really only for powered up freeride and jumping. I would say the biggest things I'm looking for in a twin is good pop and nicely cushioned landings, forgiving would be nice. Easy upwind is a nice to have but I think most modern boards don't really have an issue wuth that. I've always preffered wider boards.

135x43 does sound wide for an older board, i suggest you find a tape measure as width is the true test of a board's size...
for what you want I would say that the Ronson my be your best bet - smooth and easy, but with massive pop and super easy landings - it's the gem in the range at the moment.

The bronq gives better feedback, but the ronson arguably more performance right now -
Have not tested the 2017 bronq (out soon) as this is based on ronson tech....
that could be one to look at.

Pinbot is soft like the monk and may not be sharp or aggressive enough for you....
I would suggest 42 wide if you ride with speed and power, possibly more if you want a really easy life with less power.

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Mike B »

Tested the Foils over 2 days now - Had a session in Wales with Marc from Blast and a session yesterday with Ollie, Steph and the rest of the Bridge crew.

It's been really interesting - a lot to say about them.
Though the F foil went down very well in Exmouth, it's the P foil that I think will revolutionise the industry. It changes the physics of how kite foils are working, in a way that makes it a gift for the recreational foiler. It's a massive step sideways from the traditional 'race' route that foiling has taken. Really interesting.

The vid below (hosted on facebook) - check how slow steph's first foiling run is. Testinhg the low speed lift - this P wing is still capable of doing 38kph, but you have to pour power into it. Back off the power and it rides slower than a twin tip.

https://www.facebook.com/206273966164690/videos/1177300065728737/

PeaBody

Post by PeaBody »

Mike B wrote:
by drilling holes, yes..
the wood core is very durable and I doubt you would see issues for a long time, you could line and seal them.
Takes 8 Holes, but you could do with 6..
If you go right through the board you'd need something neat on the deck so you didnt hurt your feet..

Interested in this, I am a cheapskate, and owing a shinnster already I am tempted to do this, I have looked on you site and assume I would need the following, and also the measurements. Then I good foil and use the shinnster:

Alu Mounting Plate
Model P Wing
Aluminium Mast 60cm
Rear Stabiliser Wing
Foil Screw set

I guess to match the Duke and model P would actually need the shorter mast?

PeaBody

Post by PeaBody »

Ignore that, I can see you can buy the model P as a whole:

http://www.ktwodistribution.com/shinn/h ... del-f-foil so just that and a mounting plate?

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Mike B »

The foil comes with the plate included, so it's ready tp go... On a shinnster you really need the plate to stiffen it.
If you want to put this on a surfboard then you need 2 10" fin boxes thoroughly glassing into the board

bovaboy

Post by bovaboy »

Cheers Mike, I will measure the board but I'm pretty sure its a 43, it was the reason I bought it way back then as it was one of the few that was a decent width.
I wasn't looking at the Ronson as I thought it was a bit too freestyle oriented, I think I may have to find a shop with one to test (or preferably a Ronson and something else.)

bovaboy

Post by bovaboy »

BTW, do you guys know how hard it is to find the Shinn Website? It's not great for a business to be so under the radar, you have to know it's called shinnworld then follow a link from the facebook group? What?!?!?!

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Mike B »

hmm...
I just checked you are right.
Paid ads in google / seo optimisation - it's amazing how many retailers are ahead of the brand!

Stevez

Post by Stevez »

Quick question again about the Jackson,

Just saw the assembly video on vimeo, do the mounting hardware (t nuts) for the trim-track come with the board? I'll be mounting a different foil.

Cheers.
Steve.

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Mike B »

Hi Steve - Yup - mounting nuts come with the board - they are M6.
You'll just have to be careful that the bots are long enough to fit through your plate and get enough of a hold into the nut. If not then the M6 bolts are super easy to source.

Stevez

Post by Stevez »

Thanks Mike.

PeaBody

Post by PeaBody »

Hi, does anyone have any feedback on the new Shinn SRS ratchet foot straps?

I am thinking about upgrading my current Shinn sneakers.

I have small feet size 9 and wondered what they are like for smallish thin feet.

wheredewindblows

Post by wheredewindblows »

I have good experiences with the SRS pads. I'm about the same sized feet.

With the previous sneaker pads, I used to get a slight pinch on my little toe as I wear boots most of the time and like them fairly snug. Much improved on the new pads. The toe bar works nicely so I actually have my pads looser than I used to as I feel just as secure without needing them really tight.

Its possible to adjust them on the go if someone borrows your board mid session (difficult to make them bigger on the go. Can be made smaller alright). This is useful on that first day of holiday when its finally warm enough to take the boots off :-)

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Mike B »

I was a little sceptical at first, but well adjusted the pad is a lot nicer - seems to lock in well and lots of support.