Airush 2017

Product news and press releases from supporting industry members.
(This section is now open for discussion)
Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Airush 2017

Post by Mike B »

http://www.airush.com

http://vimeo.com/174522803

Over the next few days I will be running through some of the new product coming our way at the back end of this month. Much of the UK team already have their hands on it already - wind permitting they will be competing on it at Lancing next weekend. More info on the entire range to follow...

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Re: Airush 2017

Post by Mike B »

Razor Team

http://vimeo.com/174267098

Personal overview;
The Razor is the kite that I am using all the time at the moment - it's great powered, jumps huge and, since I bought a woo, I've fallen in love with boosting again... The Razor holds loads of wind, size for size (more than any of the bridled kites), loves being powered against a rail that bites. It's something that is a bit more hands on than everything else, and definitely not a lawnmower, but fantastic in handling when wound up.
It's freestyle credentials go a lot further though - a kite that has a lineage back to the original C's of 2002, it's taken Alex Paster to the 2013 world freestyle trophy, and the UK Airush team uses nothing but.

Huge pop and slack for bar passing, massive kite-looping potential, and super efficient vertical boosts. It's a machine on the Woo, and super direct in the hands. The problem is that unless you are riding at high power levels it doesn't work, and when it gets windy, it requires commitment.

There are quite a few second hand Razor's floating around from the team, and I'd recommend anyone to buy one - everyone should experience one of these things... You'll need a board capable of biting hard though, this is where the key to the Razor comes from in my eyes; You need grip to push it forward in the window - that where it's range and depower come from. you need a board that is both comfortable under high loads AND has a massive reserve of grip under normal riding conditions - think of your grip reserve as the bar throw you would traditionally have on a depower kite.

We've had demo weekends when all 4 ranges of 6/7m kites were out. The Razor is consistently the last kite in when all other have been blown off the water. People think that depower kites have more depower than C kites (I used to be one), but it's empirically not true in the Airush range, they just have a lot more depower under medium load conditions. When the chips are down, the Razor is the last man standing...

Have a look at the web page for a really detailed presentation on the Razor...
http://airush.com/2017/kites/razor/

Airush Overview
- ALEX PASTOR SIGNATURE FREESTYLE KITE
- PRECISION STABILITY AND STEERING
- PERFECT UNHOOKED PERFORMANCE

The Airush Razor keeps the dedicated C-Kite feel and performance that wakestyle and freestyle riders demand. Working closely with World Champion Alex Pastor we relentlessly focused on fine-tuning the performance characteristics, specifically: mind blowing pop, unhooked ability and kite looping. The Razor has great range, along with comfort for everyday freestyle riders.

The next generation Dyneema Load Frame takes the biggest innovation in kite construction to a whole new level and is combined with the Technoforce D2 by Teijin, for the ultimate combination of durability and lightweight performance.

For 2017 the 5th line is set with slightly more tension for added structural rigidity and responsiveness. A new 6m replaces the 5.5m creating a more stable platform with better gust response, and makes the 6m as easy to handle in high wind as the 5.5m. An improvement in parked power for better bottom end results in a much more versatile kite, with a broader wind range.

KEY FEATURES -
DYNEEMA LOAD FRAME - TECHNOFORCE D2 - 5 Line

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Mike B on Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Mike B »

Wave

http://vimeo.com/174267101

Personal overview;
This is the latest generation of a kite that started as a fusion between The C kite planform of the Razor and the depower Planshape of the Lithium. The result was ground breaking - fast, direct, massive mid range depower, great drift and thanks to the Razor DNA it also had huge efficiency. the first test had the testers buying a quiver, it was that good. Since then the Wave has been though tweaks and tunes but it's never lost that rabid but completely tameable feel that makes it so much more than just a 'wave' kite.

Signature feel on the wave is;
- it's ability to turn, and forward turn at that - no loss of power through the turn and the ability to virtually hook around itself when you ask it to. No other kite in the range is so agile. It never stalls, never flys itself out of the window, in fact never puts a foot wrong. It's an absolute hoot to throw around.
- efficiency - it's very slippery through the air, which means that if you get it stuck at the back of the window you can get it right to the front without it hauling you, or you can cache that in and create massive vertical boost - it's a really good jumping kite.
- handling - it's progressive and very direct, yet the one thing that you notice about the wave it's its agility as the de-power starts to come on. The steering is the same on full de-power as it is on full power, making a wave session continue to flow as the winds increase - the sweet spot is ENORMOUS.

The 9 has probably the biggest range of the lot and is the sweetest size - the smaller kites have been progressively developed to handle more and more like the 9, and the 12 has bee through a few incarnations to get it as close to this magic 9 too. Incidentally - when the wave first came out people were saying how it was also good for freeride, and also for freestyle, as it had good forward surge. The comment was that it was the finest multi-discpline kite so far seen. Since then we've had a lot of industry wave kites come that don't jump, but more recently a new batch of similar kites that do.. They have been marketed more as enduro style kites - power multidiscipline - which is exactly what the Wave is, and in my eyes, has always been..

Have a look at the web page for a really detailed presentation on the Wave...
http://airush.com/2017/kites/wave/

Airush Overview
- DEDICATED WAVE PERFORMANCE
- PRECISE STEERING
- SUPERB DRIFT CHARACTERISTICS

The unique design of the Airush Wave has been engineered specifically for the precise demands of the true wave enthusiast. The Wave flies forward in the window when required (keeping the rider deep in the pocket), steers immediately no matter where it is in the window, and sits back and drifts in the turns when more stability is required.

Refinements in the chord length, wingtips and canopy layout make for a smooth power delivery and fluid steering which is consistent across the range. For 2017, the updated V3.2 bridle configuration features has reduced bridle length without compromising on turning and depower.

The next generation Dyneema Load Frame takes the biggest innovation in kite construction to a whole new level. This, combined with the Technoforce D2 by Teijin, provides the ultimate mix of durability and lightweight performance. For wave performance, this optimized weight is essential for improved drift stability, while the load frame make all the difference when additional durability is required.

The Wave responds perfectly to rider input and allows you to get into the perfect position on the wave no matter what the wind conditions, taking your riding into a new realm…

[align=center]KEY FEATURES -
DYNEEMA LOAD FRAME - TECHNOFORCE D2 - V3 Bridle

ImageImageImage

Sonnyrider

Post by Sonnyrider »

Can the new 3.2 Bridle be retro fitted to the older versions of the Wave?

duc996bp

Post by duc996bp »

In terms of the Razor what board has a huge amount of grip in the shinn range?

John.B

Post by John.B »

duc996bp wrote:In terms of the Razor what board has a huge amount of grip in the shinn range?

Ultrasonic IMO has the biggest rail grip. A very underrated board in the range - not as slashy as some of the others but if you can load that rail in high winds the release is super explosive. Mike might not agree but he is just too old school and would want massive sticky fins ;-)

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Mike B »

Sonnyrider wrote:Can the new 3.2 Bridle be retro fitted to the older versions of the Wave?

It's possible.. but I have not yet seen the bridle attachment points side by side. If I was to offer an opinion, I would not do it - it could be an expensive experiment that at worst didn't work, but could make for a kite that doesnt quite work as well as it should....
I thought they had just changed the bridle on the Union, but John and I think that the kite itself is mildly more rigid than last years...

Sonnyrider

Post by Sonnyrider »

Yeah, I assumed the kite structure would have changed as well. Was worth asking tho' :)

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Mike B »

This is a really beautiful edit...

http://vimeo.com/175249262

boracay

Post by boracay »

Hi Duc the Shinn ADHD also matches up very well with the razor, the load, pop and slack is putting some rather large smiles on my face!
I'm lucky enough to have the 2017 razors already and have the 15m and 10m this year. The 15m has saved my summer so far with a very good low end, it's incredibly stable and have my passes dialed again after a period of injury and is helping get the basics down in some light wind on some new tricks. I'm loving this kite.

I've had a few sessions on the 10m and this goes just as well as previous 11m & 9m, and suits my quiver better.

John.B

Post by John.B »

2017 Union Review

So the 2017 Core range has been introduced on the Airush website and usually Mike has updated the forum with details; however I do know that an early ‘shipment’ has had him pretty busy of late.

Like previous years and being a UK team tester (crash dummy) for Airush I got my hands on some of the very early 2017 final production Unions and being in Scotland I have managed to score sessions on my 12, 9 and 6m Kites already. The short review – they have taken last years excellent kites and eked out a little bit more from it.

Now if you read online Airush say all they have done is reduce the bridle by 10% in 2017; however my impressions are that the canopy seems much more taught and they all feel a bit more structurally solid. If you read what I said about the 2016 one of the things I first noticed was that in low to medium power if you pushed the depower throw past 80% the canopy would luff, but at medium to high power this would disappear as everything seems to tighten up. On the 2017 9 & 6 this tendency has pretty much gone and it’s much less noticeable on the 12m.

That said I usually try to ride with the stopper pulled in and use edging to ‘depower’ the kite when possible – which the Union responds to brilliantly. I also think it’s worthwhile me saying how I setup my kites as they can be tuned to preference. The first thing I do to all mine is set the bar pressure on the leading edge bridle to low – this prevents any elbow pain which due to gym work I’ve suffered from in the past (Mike laughs at me and thinks I’m a bit of a girl). On the 12/9 the rear lines are set to the outer, fastest point at the wing tips and on the 6m to the middle. All my kites I pump until they can’t be pumped anymore so I imagine around the 9psi mark.

The result of this is that I have the fastest possible kite on the lightest of settings; however the Union still has excellent feedback. I never look at my kite and always know where it is and in fact I’ve become so in tune with the Union that recently (while testing a Woo theory) it took me about 20 minutes to get dialed back into the Razor (the Union jumps better IMO). The thing I love about the Union is the precision of it in that I can make it do what I want with differing input – as I’ve said before if you want to sheet and go then you’ll have a heap of fun. However, if you understand how a kite flies and responds to different input then you can unlock a whole lot more.

Using a combination of the bar throw, edging and adjusting your steering input can give you such a different response from the Union. For example I use the edging and it’s flying speed through the window to get some whip (kite way back overhead to 2 then throw it back up to 12 when airborne) and go for maximum height – throw and hold a stiffy (inverted, board up at lines), then sheet out so the kite goes overhead and you swing under it, but at last moment crank the bar to do a very tight down loop of the kite – land toeside and transition out in style.
The ability to edge and place the Union in the Window is an outstanding feature and for me it means I can (safely) have as big a kite as possible in high winds to try and jump as big as I can. With the 12/9 at high power/wind speeds you can set the kite low low and edge against to put it at the front of the window – then as described before let it rip to go big! My rule of thumb though is if I need to use the trim then I need to size down – although the V3 bridle still gives full steering on max depower at the trim and bar throw. Alternatively I’ve had the 6m out when other guys were on 9m kites (one of those up and down days) and if you let it ‘breathe’ then it shoots upwind and you can hold ground and still have fun – I even managed to pop some decent raleys on it… a 6m!

I suppose in many respects it doesn’t really excel in any one area (not that it’s supposed to) – sure it is very stable and will slack enough for freestyle, but it’s no Razor. I can chuck it about and (pretend) to ride and slash up the onshore, wind-blown mushy waves we get, but it’s no Wave. However, if your style is a bit of everything, riding around fast and having as much fun as you can then the Union is IMO a bloody perfect kite to do this on. Actually, and Mike might argue differently, I think it does excel in one area – boosting. The Union is one of the easiest kites to consistently get good height on in real world conditions (choppy seas and gusty winds). It’s handling, ease of use, speed, efficiency, feedback and precision make it super easy to jump – definitely my kind of kite.

Other things to note this year - the bar is the same quality affair and apart from some colour changes they have reduced the diameter, which is actually more comfortable and apparently better for handle passing! The bag is nice, although I do wonder why we need nice kite bags, but it has enough room for a 6 and 9 packed for a trip (it can fit a 4.5 year old in the 98th percentile height wise), and places to attach a pump and bar so what more do you need.

tonyg

Post by tonyg »

Wave vs Union in 10m/12m Sizes?

Looking for a recommendation.
Earlier this year I snagged a closeout 2015 9m Wave based on reviews (no chance to demo first).
Love the kite and now also have a 2016 7m Wave.
I'm on my surfboard a lot but there are definitely days for the TT.
I'm happy enough on the 9m Wave on the TT but there are days where I need a bit more kite.
I have a 2013 10m Rebel and for years that has been my biggest kite, with crazy high end.
There seems to be minimal difference in the low end between the rebel and the 9m wave.
Wondering about grabbing another, bigger kite, something to replace the Rebel, possibly the Union or maybe another Wave.
I'm thinking the 12m Union probably makes the most sense but also thinking maybe the 10m Union or Wave.
The thinking on the 10m Union is that it is probably a better match for the TT.
How do the range and flying characteristics of the 10m/12m Unions compare?
Have never been a fan of big kites and a 9m/10m kite gets used 90% of the time.
What do you all think?

Tony

Sonnyrider

Post by Sonnyrider »

I just spent 30 mins typing a reply and it' didn't post...
grrrrr

Sonnyrider

Post by Sonnyrider »

OK,
Summary...

Get a 12 Union, it'll work well as a lighter wind option for the SB and you can hold down a fair bit of power if & when the wind picks up when you're out having a session.
It'll be a great kite for TT shenanigans.

I ride 7 & 9 Waves. I had a good session on a friends 12m Union towards the end of the summer at my local. I would definitely be buying one.

My friend has come from Rebels, he said he feels like he's progressing more now he's on the unions, looking at him out there, I would agree. Last time I saw him, he came past, on his 9m, screaming "I love this fcking kite!!"
He also said the 12 Union has more power than his Rebel. It does what he wants when he wants, without any delay. He's glad he bought them.

<It's taken me 3 attempts to post this...>

tonyg

Post by tonyg »

Thanks for the feedback. Ideally I'd get to take on for a spin but that may or may not happen.
Waiting (hoping) for a closeout deal on a 2016, between my 10m Rebel and 12m Cloud C2 I can survive a bit of a wait.
If it flys anything like the 9m Wave I'll be happy.