Wetsuit design - surely this can't be right?

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
marksgee

Wetsuit design - surely this can't be right?

Post by marksgee »

I just bought an Ion element overknee suit but have decided to sent it back.

All excellent but inside the suit there is no protection/seal from the zip and its nylon surround. In my experience this is really uncomfortable and impractical. It just cant be right so I called the dealer who checked all their new element stock and advised that all the suits were like this. I took it that this must be a manufacturing fault on a new batch from their factory. According to the dealer, they checked this info with Ion who said the website description was in fact wrong but the actual suit was made correctly to spec.

I couldn't belive this so I emailed Ion direct to ask them to verify that this is the case and whether they had even tried a suit in the water of this design. It's been a week and so far nothing in response!

So my question is am I losing the plot here? Surely this can't be bona fide spec. Has anyone else bought one of these which does has a protective flap over the zip? I know for a fact that the 2012 suits have zip flaps so why would they drop it for 2013?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

bri

Re: Wetsuit design - surely this can't be right?

Post by bri »

Doesnt look right to me, looks like corner cutting

james

Post by james »

the flaps/barrier/seals are there to stop water ingress in cold water/fitted to higher end suits.

you have a warmer water suit that is more budget and less tech so they have dropped a 'feature' helping them to keep the price lower.

suit is fine, expectations might need re aligning or buy a different suit.

marksgee

Post by marksgee »

Respectfully James I think your wrong. I bought a suit for my kid on the beach at Newquay for £20 and that had a protective flap. I put this on and stretched about a bit only to scratch the small of my back scratched to pieces. 1 thin strip of rubber and a single stich line: what's that gonna cost in a cambodian factory? 50p? Hmm big saving!!

IMO this is a complete design fault. Ion would do well to reconsider their product design. I rather suspect however that the kind of cost saving they were looking for has backfired and their cambodian factory have screwed up.

duc996bp

Post by duc996bp »

I also think you are wrong James, its a Wetsuit, no flap is going to stop water ingress. It needs a flap simply to stop it scratching your back, hardly an expensive add-on.

james

Post by james »

Fu k it what do I know anyway, its an opinion based on selling suits for god knows how long.

Change the suit with the store for one with a flap was this an Internet purchase by chance?

pierre

Post by pierre »

Some of you guys need to get a grip!
There is no flap in my wetsuit! LOL

I don't think any of my shorty never had one and this has never been an issue to me.
If its that bad get another wetsuit with a flap.

I am sure the guys at Snug wetsuit will make you a custom one with all the flaps you want.

Fly safe.

thetrash

Post by thetrash »

My oneil shorty that has lasted for years doesn't have a flap