El Medano....next week

Shoot the breeze and stay in the loop with the unhinged and unhooked word on the street.
tommrics

El Medano....next week

Post by tommrics »

So I'm off to El Medano on Sunday with the family.

We are staying at the Balos Apartments on the sea front. I know a few guys on here visit regularly and I was looking for some advice...

1. Do I take my own kit or rent while I'm out there?
2. Assuming I rent some kit or need to rent due to breaking something who's best to rent from?
3. I'm there with the family. 2.5 yr old and 1 yr old. Any family based tips? Where to eat etc etc...
4. Full wetsuit or shorty

Is anyone from the forum likley to be out there???

I've not been kite surfing for 18 months now due to work and family so I literally cannot wait!!

Thanks in advance

T

georgemp
Antispam: No

Re: El Medano....next week

Post by georgemp »

Hi Tom,

Leo's pizza and crepe restaurant is very good with kids.
There's a decent playground in the square which my kids enjoy.
Beach is great for the kids as they can't escape due to the low cliff all round.

Never rented but there are plenty of shops to choose from. I chatted to these guys about conditions etc, first time I was there:
http://www.30nudos.com
They were very friendly but as I said, never rented from them.

Shorty for sure.

If the wind is blowing from the SW, beware the shadow behind the mountain! I got in all sorts of trouble and had a long swim in!

Enjoy, it's a great place! We're back late August \ early Sept.

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Mike B »

Take your own.. for sure..
I've known Frank from Cabezo surf shop for many, many years.. he's a great guy.
Canarian surf fruit (next to flashpoint bar) are also great -
That is a great surf bar too.. food is good..
Like it has been said - do not go out further than the point - dangerous rip if something happens, and that is the end of the island, so no coming back ;-)

If you need a day off and want to go on an amazing walk - ask about the Masca trip - it's very impressive. Tenerife is Teide the highest mountian in Spain. Makes nevis look like a pimple ;-)

Kite mornings (no-one out) and evenings to avoid the crowds.

It's a great place, you'll have a good trip!
Might be a bit windy this time of year - make sure you have a 5 / 6m kite...

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Mike B »

ps, my avatar pic was taken there - in cabezo.. some great sessions.

tommrics

Post by tommrics »

Thanks Gents,

Some good tips there.

Unfortunately my quiver is limited to a 10m RPM. Something tells me I'm going to be renting.

Just checked the price of kites too. The prices seem to have gone up exponentially in the last 18months!!

Any other tips from anyone?

cyberdog1899

Post by cyberdog1899 »

http://www.muchoviento.net/

to check adequate forecast (chose Spanien/Kanarien/Teneriffa/El Medano/regional model in scroll menu on left hand side.
Buy a 7m before you go otherwise you'll end up paying that for hire... and come back with nothing.

Mike B
Brand Rep'
Brand Rep'

Post by Mike B »

10 is fine, but you absolutely need a 5 or 6m or 7m max kite too.
I've seen locals unable to walk backwards with 4m depower kites.
In the summer it's windy.
If you can't get a used 6m fast, then just get a cheap DNA school kite from one of the Uk kite schools, or get a new one...
some of my very experienced friends swear by them - and they are so cheap...

ronnie

Post by ronnie »

The forecasts I have been looking at might work out OK for your 10, but best to go by what they say as late as possible before you go.

tommrics

Post by tommrics »

Thanks Gents,

where do people buy used kites from these days?

Can't find the old marketplace section on the forum here.......

I'm sooo out of touch its embarrassing!! :shock:

John.B

Post by John.B »

Always windier than forecast. Always and by a good bit.

This is local and usually 5 to 10 knots over what it's reading http://cabezo.bergfex.at/ click the photographs and you can look back over days and times to see wind speeds. This is not what was forecast
http://cabezo.bergfex.at/webcam/cabezo/ ... 07/13/1401

I always base it on the gust speed. Wind also starts in morning slightly cross-off from main beach but switches on then builds to peak in afternoon before easing off. It accelerates around the mountain.

If you email me on johnbarber75 @ gmail.com I'll send you a guide I've given a few people. My now three year old has been 8 times so can give you lowdown for nippers and cheap Mojitos in family friendly places.

PS. I also have a 6m 2015 Airush VX for sale - perfect for going huge in Pigs Bay.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=63112

cowboy

Post by cowboy »

Off put in a couple of weeks don't know how long you're out there for.

Last few years I've been out in august and used anything from 14m down to a 9m, took my 6m last year but never used it as I'm not kiting every day and could get away with shorter lines. Though have seen some of those windy days that mike talked about

Easier to get off the beach when not so busy in the morning, and sometimes might take a couple of attempts to get back in due to folks leaving the beach and learners

Can be a great place to kite when not too crowded and you work out an area away from those that just go up and down the same line all the time

tommrics

Post by tommrics »

cowboy wrote:Off put in a couple of weeks don't know how long you're out there for.

Last few years I've been out in august and used anything from 14m down to a 9m, took my 6m last year but never used it as I'm not kiting every day and could get away with shorter lines. Though have seen some of those windy days that mike talked about

Easier to get off the beach when not so busy in the morning, and sometimes might take a couple of attempts to get back in due to folks leaving the beach and learners

Can be a great place to kite when not too crowded and you work out an area away from those that just go up and down the same line all the time

Cheers Cowboy.....

Out there for a week Sunday to Sunday...normally I worry about there not being enough wind...this time its too much wind!!!

I'm going to chance my luck and try and get out very early each morning and hope the winds of for the first couple of hours....

cowboy

Post by cowboy »

Ive always used surf centre wind forecast and seems a good base

http://www.surfcenter.el-medano.com/Win ... /index.php

tommrics

Post by tommrics »

So I'm out here at the moment.

Its a great location for the family and kiting.

I went to Cabazo and ended up accidentally buying a new board.....whoops...good deal though...

The wind has been light too so the 10m has been cool...its all about to change tomorrow though.

I cannot get over how many kites are out at any one time...my wife counted over 40 yesterday....it can be f'in dangerous at times on the beach. As was packing down yesterday some nugget decided to teach his mate how to launch over the top of me.

The launch can be a little sketchy in light wind too it would seem. I've seen quite a few with kites drop out of the sky and invert...might have been something to do with high tide....

Looking forward to some stronger wind over the next couple of days. :-)

Mike - as you said mornings and evenings are the way forward. Thanks for recommending Cabezo too...spoke to Frank about a board and ended up buying it..

John - The pizza place next to Cabezo is epic. Food was awesome and so cheap it almost feels like you're stealing

I would recommend as kite destination for families as there's plenty to do with the kids, things to do on no wind days and the spot is close to the town & main beach. Not a good place to learn though...although if you learnt to kite here you could kite anywhere!!!

John.B

Post by John.B »

tommrics wrote:John - The pizza place next to Cabezo is epic. Food was awesome and so cheap it almost feels like you're stealing

I would recommend as kite destination for families as there's plenty to do with the kids, things to do on no wind days and the spot is close to the town & main beach. Not a good place to learn though...although if you learnt to kite here you could kite anywhere!!!

Tartaruga is amazing - Gaturto with the egg sounds weird bt is amazing!

Mornings are best - get pigs bay all to yourself.

I learnt west coast Scotland over winter years ago - Medano is easy ;-)