Has Caution the Answer?

Kite questions, info, feedback and tech discussion.
macca

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:33 pm

Been reading about the "Answer" been a hybrid between sonic and C kites, is this forum hype ? No inversion, better feel etc

any feed back on the kite, as caution have a good record on durable no no nonsense kit. Prices?
Cheers.
Rossall
Brand Rep'

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:39 pm

macca theres a load of blurb on kiteforum plus pics, looks nice, very nice.
thetrash

Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:56 pm

Mine turned up today, going for an afterwork session tommorrow to give it a go.
Sean (AJ)
Brand Rep'

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:02 pm

No pre-hype on this one, been sitting on hands and resisting the trade expo for ages... Its actualy here already and in fact a very limited few have already gone out in the UK... I managed to blag a few more which are also on the way for next week (be double quick or there is no chance) ... and then another slightly less limited few should be here around end April...

All 12m up to that point ... we expect them to be sold out on pre-order fairly quickly... SRP will likely be around the £799 mark for the 12m ... pre-order with a dipper secures a kite and a 'best' discount price.

End May we should see some more 12m along with the 9m ... then 16m + 7m to follow.

Availability will continue to be limited with the Answer for a while as it is massively pre-sold out in the US and the Caution crew are hogging most of 'em for the forseeable.

Wind gods permitting we'll be out testing this weekend so there should be the usual lo-down and photos from me next week. Its tipped to be agressive and direct with no fear of backline and no shortage of 'pop'... We'll soon see.

What I can tell you right now is that it is incredibly well built and looks the absolute bollox 8)

We've bagged a nice red/blue/black number like the one below so expect to see a lot more of that...

@ Trash ... did you get the yellow/black/grey one ??? Looks good... in fact they all look good.

Powered by... Airjam Kiteboarding
Last edited by Sean (AJ) on Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waverider

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:27 am

Life is becoming unbearable, all these lovely 'Bows' to play with if you can afford it.
macca

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:10 am

Cheers for info, bar looks good, very simple.
thetrash

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:00 pm

Yep got the grey,red,yellow,black one.

Had a cold hour on it afterwork, and the best way to describe it as C kite crossed with a sonic. Lots of pull, fast in the turns, the depower is like a C kite until you pull the depower strap in and then it's more like a sonic.
macca

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:10 pm

Do they still depower like BOWs, push the bar all the way out = total depower?
thetrash

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:40 pm

It depends on how much the depower strap is pulled in, Today when I was walking back up the beach with the strap pulled right in and the bar all the way out it just hovered above my head with very little pull with just enough tension in the lines to fly. But with the strap all the way out there is some pull there but not as much as a C kite. There are also 3 knots above the depower strap to further adjust where the depower kicks in.When you unhook or pull the QR it completly depowers and falls out of the sky. I think Sean Airjam will be able to explain things a bit better than me.
I had planned on messing about with these settings on the beach first but after about 2 minutes I thought f**k it I can't wait any more, I'm going to try it on the water. Can't wait until the weekend!
thetrash

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:50 pm

I just want to add, it was wicked.
Sean (AJ)
Brand Rep'

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:09 pm

sounds good trash... interesting how the word "fast" keeps is getting mentioned about the Answer.

@ macca... The bar is set up with a real short throw... shorter than many 'C' kites in fact, even without adjusting it with the thumb screw stopper balls. The de-power strap is dead easy to reach as a result...

The idea is that you set the trim up how you like...

1: Leave the strap fully out and you will have a very direct, agressive power and response, just like a good 'C' kite... let go of the bar and you won't get Sonic like de-power but as trash says... more de-power than a 'C' kite.

2: Pull in the de-power strap fully, much like you would to de-power a 'C' kite... and you are now set up with a lot more de-power with the bar pushed away ... trash says the kite will hover with very little pull... no doubt come down slowly.

Obviously, you have a range of options between the two extremes but as a general guide, a beginner would best go for option 2 and have the max de-power when the bar is let go. An advanced rider looking for performance and pop etc would go for option 1. Wave set up maybe somewhere in-between.

If you are getting overpowered and need the big de-power... just pull the trim strap in to shorten the front lines and it has a big effect on how much de-power you have on tap by pushing the bar away.

As said... there are also 3 front line pigtail knots just in front of the de-power strap... use the closest one to attach the front lines and you will have even more slack back line / de-power. The furthest one, more grunt etc.

There is also a neat, short 5th line that runs from your harness/leash through the bar, through a couple of guide hoops on the de-power strap and stops at that same point just in front of the de-power strap on one of the knots... let go of the bar un-hooked and everything scrunches up onto that short 5th killing the power no matter how you have the trim set up ... its an easy bar recovery as its only gone as far as the end of the de-power strap. The 5th line is covered in a clear, thin PU tube to protect from wear which is a really nice touch.

I'll get some pics up soon.
Sean (AJ)
Brand Rep'

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:08 pm

oh and macca... you'll be pleased to hear its got nifty little one way valves on all the struts with a neat, built in pokey de-flate thing.... great for your freezing cold NE coast fingers ;)
macca

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:50 pm

AJ wrote:oh and macca... you'll be pleased to hear its got nifty little one way valves on all the struts with a neat, built in pokey de-flate thing.... great for your freezing cold NE coast fingers ;)
To late Sean, spring is here, or so we are told, gloves off and speedos on

I'm now an avid foil flyer, but looking for a 9m BOW kite, for gusty shit wind.

Foils are a lazy option, and would like that in a BOW, the valves do make a difference to set up times, glad Caution have gone that route, as they are quality kites. Repeated pumping and squeezing is more suited to the bedroom not the beach in 3c.

My 2 C spits are still working well, just need a bigger car to accommodate them all. :lol: :lol:

Sounds like another quality santa cruz bit of kit.
Motters

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:02 pm

So the Yanks are hogging all the 9m's until May sometime Sean?....feckers! Well guess i'll have to sort you out a dipper when i'm back and hopefully be around for the first bunch that come in.

Still super keen to try the 12m out when I get back down that way.